I want to get this right

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by AR Transplant, Nov 23, 2004.

1. AR Transplant

AR Transplant Well-Known Member

Hi. I am an occasional poster. I have one milk cow, Isabella and it has been great to learn from this forum.

Anyway. I bought Isabella already bred and she had her calf in May. I was told that she was bred to a jersey bull by mistake. (That's why she was sold, the owner didn't want her bred yet, she was 15 months old when bred).

Well, I am getting ready to sell the heifer calf that she had. I had assumed that she was a full jersey calf. BUT now that winter is coming on, this little calf has grown longish red hair. She had always looked just like her mama until about a month ago and her hair is a lot longer than her mama's.
    My question is, do some jerseys have longer hair? Should I be worried that she isn't a full jersey?

Obviously, I want to sell an honest jersey heifer. Also, the vet was out this summer and he saw her and assumed she was a jersey. He also wants to buy her. Should I ask him about it? Or just let it go?
    I really appreciate your wisdom on this.

Thanks,

Arkansas Transplant

2. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

We have Jerseys, and seems the calves always get longer hair their first winter. The longer winter hair is darker too. If the vet assumed she's all Jersey I wouldn't worry about it.

3. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

He didn't want her bred at 15 months? That is when Jerseys are generally bred the first time.

Anyways, was the Jersey bull the only bull she was exposed to or was there another bull around?

Our animals (Jerseys and Jersey/Norwegian Red crosses) always turn darker in the winter with their winter coats on. That is how we know winter is just around the corner. :rolleyes:

Do you have any pictures of her?

Red is not an abnormal color for Jerseys. Adelaine, Sandy and Mistie are all redish-orange. They were all out of Topkick and born about the same time. Oddly enough calves born around the same time tend to have similar coloration.

4. AR Transplant

Thanks, I won't worry about it, I am glad to hear that the first year their coats may be a little longer. I do worry about things that I am responsible for and cannot be absolutely certain that it is so.

I honestly don't know if the person I bought her from has other bulls. I know for sure she has a jersey bull, and brown swiss heifers. A few months ago a young jersey bull bruised her up pretty badly and is now safe and sound in the deep freeze.

I have a picture of her, I will try to post it.

Thanks so much again,

Arkansas Transplant

5. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Jerseys range from black to brown to a silver white, and spotted. They almost always have a black nose and tongue. if it was crossed with something they tend to go darker and often have brindled stripes. This isn;t an exact science, but it doesn't need to be since you can go from a Texas longhorn to full fledge Purebred Registered jersey in four generations. Go ahead sell her as a purebred, heck get papers on her then ask for more money.

6. AR Transplant

OK I give up. How do you post a photo on this list?

I know that that this isn't really a cattle question, but I would really like to post this photo.

Thank you so much,

Arkansas Transplant

7. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I had not been successful but that is probably because I was using Yahoo!
    If you post a photo in something like photobucket.com, you can right click and go to properties. It should give you a URL address for the photo. You copy that, paste it here, then highlight the address and click on the photo of a mountain in the list above. Should end up with the letters IMG in brackets on either side.
    Let's see if I can get this to work....
    I took this photo off of our website.

[​IMG]
    ^This is my father and Simone.
    Wonderful, it worked!