Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Your blog said: "The Dewalt Tracksaw is essentially a table saw replacement. It provides the same precision as a table saw, but at less than 20 lbs. is extremely portable. This tool is a must have for woodworkers and furniture/cabinet builders."

Sorry, but this is a ridiculous and untrue statement. I'm a journeyman carpenter, built all of the cabinetry for our home and do a lot of woodworking, so I know a little about woodworking and tools. NOTHING replaces a table saw! A good table saw is the heart of virtually every well equipped shop. To even suggest this could "replace" a table saw is silly; to suggest it has the same accuracy is downright foolish. Could this DeWalt saw be useful, yes, could it replace a table saw, absolutely not.

·
Registered
964 Posts
For the $500 it costs, a contractor tablesaw is only $125 more. Grizzly saw.

This isn't a replacement for a tablesaw, its mostly for panel cutting, at least in my opinion. I use either a guide clamp, or a chunk of whatever straight plywood I have on hand. Use the skill saw or router, and run it against the fence. A less expensive saw plate guide is only $24. Ad a $15 guide, and your ready to cut straight lines.

Michael

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
And then you drop it, bending the track.

Seriously, I've used those things. They ain't terribly precise and they are darned awkward to work with.

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
Dh and I have been doing the building stuff for many years now, started with our first house. We are now into year five of a total gut and rehab of our third house.

I can only think of a few times where this tool would have really been useful. But then, DH can do a remarkable straight cut freehand with the skillsaw.

I can't see this replacing a table saw, it replaces having to clamp a straight board on sheet of plywood. I'd use a miter saw for cutting 2x4's, way easier and it won't slip.

With two people, you can cut just about anything on a table saw too.

Two of my favorite tools are the Fien (sp?)cutting tool (spendy but when you need it, nothing else will work) and the palm pounder. For both of these tools, the first time I saw them used my mouth dropped open and I KNEW I had to have them LOL!!

BTW, love the pictures of your project. We've been living in our place as we do the work, and that adds some interesting challenges. Sure am glad to be almost done!

Cathy

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I have revised this. I should have said according to One Project Closer they believe that it could replace a table saw. I really have never used one, but would like to try it out and review it. Or should I just not bother for the Stone House project?

Hubby has a mitre saw for cuts, Not a real table saw though. I was hoping this would help with putting in posts and replacing the studs that were burned out.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I wouldn't spend the money on it unless he REALLY has his heart set on it. You would be much further ahead getting a really good circular saw and one of the aftermarket guides. Take a look at this article from Wood magazine. They review the aftermarket guides.

The main reason I use a guide with the circular saw is to make furniture grade cuts in sheet material. With some planning, a few clamps, and a sacrificial hardboard plate on the bottom of the saw, you can probably get fairly close to the Dewalts cut quality. You also end up with a nice saw in the bargain. (unless you have a good quality saw already) The other reason I use a guide it to put dados in the above mentioned sheet goods.

What comes in handier for less money is a mitre saw. If you're doing rough carpentry, its fantastic. Nice square cuts, or the angle you actually set it to. Once again, you can do everything with a good quality circular saw, but if you're going to blow the tool/toy budget...

The other reason I like plain circular saw is that if it gets dropped from the roof, its only 1/10th the cost of the Dewalt. Not that you would be using it to cut OSB roof decking with it, at least not at that price.

This looks like a contractors specialty tool. If you won the lotery, like you said, go for it. If you don't see a daily need for what it provides, think hard before getting it.

Michael

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all of your imput. I guess hubby can do without this gadget after all. Thanks for all the great information. I do appreciate it.

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
As others have said, if you bend the track you are done..

The best bet is still using an alum. straight edge and knowing the width of your saw from the blade to the edge of the guide..

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
I showed this to my husband. He does heavy equipment work on job sites. Said at one he worked at a year ago, they had one of these, was supppose to be the best one they could get (he thought it was a dewalt, but not sure). The full time carpentures said it was pretty good -for what it was, but considered it a POS and left it in the truck for the most part.

I think something like this might be better for the times you need to use it. Spend the money and get a GOOD circlar saw too. Each time we take out our Bosche, my husband comments on how much he likes that saw.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007W5STE

BTW- I'm not recommending that particular one, only showing an option to use with a circular saw.

Cathy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts