I want know about cost of living in Trussville, Alabama?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mexican_Guy, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Mexican_Guy

Mexican_Guy Guest

I'm from Los Angeles right now... I was looking Trussville, AL on website and it look nice Southern city (Suburb of Birmingham). I just want know about cost of living in Trussville, AL.

How are cost of living in Trussville?

Are many nice people in Trussville?

How are property tax in Trussville?

How is much cost of water, electricly and gas bills?

Does people can affordable nice house or Apartment in Trussville? Please give me a something about good life in Trussville? (Like high paying job or other something?)

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

3. hunter gatherer

hunter gatherer Well-Known Member

My grandmother has lived in Trussville Alabama since 1946 and my father grew up there. My mom grew up near by and went to high school in Trussville. I spent alot of time there as a child (we only lived a few hours away, in Georgia) and still go to visit my grandmother every few years. I will tell you that, just like everywhere else in America, Trussville has really changed. It is a very desirable town to live in and property values have just skyrocketed. All around the outskirts of the town proper have cropped up these neighborhoods of big expensive homes. Also, what used to be a cute and thriving little mainstreet has now been swallowed up by every big box store known to man. Now, I was living in a suburb of Atlanta in the mid 90's and thought I had seen it all, but was still amazed when I saw the urban sprawl that surrounded Trussville.

I will say that the old neighborhoods look much the same as they did in my fathers time, back in the 40's and 50's. The old high school is still standing
    ( although, I think that it is now used for the middle school) and the city pool that both my dad and I learned to swim in is still in operation.

My grandmother lives in cute, two story duplex. Her long time neighbor died a few years back, and although I can't recall the exact amount, I do remember being shocked at how much the other side of my grandmothers duplex sold for.

I'm guessing that the cost of living has got to be cheaper than where you are in
    Los Angeles. I would imagine that you could find the answers to your specific financial questions by using a search engine.

As to you being able to find a high paying job, I think that would depend on what you do for a living.

4. Mexican_Guy

Mexican_Guy Guest

I want know about how much property tax and unitly bills.

Property tax was low for car in Los Angeles that where I lived there. Gas price is higher!!!!

5. hunter gatherer

hunter gatherer Well-Known Member

Mexican Guy,
    Your best bet would be to contact someone in Trussville directly, concerning the rate of property taxes. Even then, it would entirely depend on the appraisal value of whatever property you purchased.The chances of someone who has that specific information about the property taxes in Trussville, Alabama are probably slim to none.

6. [If you contact their local govt. ( find their website) they can tell you the appraisal rate as far a tax amount for dollar value of a home.

7. Trussville is on the northeastern border of Jefferson county in Alabama. It's very, very near St. Clair county. I grew up in Moody(St. Clair) just over the hill from Trussville and worked in Trussville for three years delivering for a lighting company, only made $7.00 per hour. I now manage a petstore elsewhere in Jefferson County and make middle five digits and drive an hour to get home. It's odd that you post on a homesteading board as Trussville is not the place to go. Even over the hills in St. Clair county (Moody, Argo, Springville) you'll have trouble even with a few chickens if your property is not 'grandfathered'

I pay about $75 dollars a year for my car tag, about $250 a month for electricity (our house, for now, is total electric) $25 for water.

8. Wow, It is almost high than Los Angeles expect for water.

I only pay $120 a monthly for electricly and $60 to $80 for water bills.

9. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................ go here http://www.bestplaces.net/ ........look in the Upper left corner of your screen and click on....Compare two cities....i.e. , LA vs trussville......the demographic data is probably from 2000 census but still very revealing..........fordy..... :eek: :)

10. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Trussville is growing so fast and you would likely have lots of restrictions and such. We live outside Oneonta which is in Blount County. If you look on the map Blount is kind of "above" Jefferson county.

If I were you I'd seek some acreage, even if it's just city lot size, in one of the rural areas in St. Clair or Blount counties.

11. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

Also property tax values are being reassessed yearly so that they may actually double every four years. Its our govenors way around the tax increases we voted down last year. Also the environmental health levels in our state are very low and worse around Birmingham. I also saw that our schools rate like second from the bottom on the national average. Most who move here also have complaints of low wages due to our state being a right to work state.

We also have a nerve gas disposal site just about 30 miles north of Birmingham that some residents are concerned about ending up like the antifreeze plant in Bohpal did because the nerve gas is incinerated for disposal.

These are things that real estate people tend to overlook informing purchasers about.

12. Mexican_Guy

Mexican_Guy Guest

Ah... Property tax in Los Angeles are same since 1980s but never get double or increase since 1980.

We have problem in Los Angeles too because drought, earthquake and worse traffic. Most school in Los Angeles are good and some school are okay or bad. We have problem with overcrowded at school about like 4000 student in one high school. You are rights to learn how talk spanish at school, but teaching condom and sexual theme is illegal at all public school in California.

If I don't like Alabama then maybe move to Las Vegas.

13. Shrek

save your gas money and look at vegas . While nevada is getting ucca mtn up to speed to store all the nuclear waste our nation produces, it has a better economy , especially around LV.

14. Mexica_Guy

Mexica_Guy Guest

Which is better economy? Birmingham or Las Vegas

What is UCCA Mtn means?

15. Shrek

Las Vegas if you can handle the heat. A guy I worked with here quit a $26,000 a year technical job and went to las vegas to work in environmental systems and heating and air. Last I heard he was doing just as well as he was here plus putting an extra 8000 or so a year into savings. He said he might come back to alabama after he and his wife retire out there or collect enough rent from his brother to pay off their house here that hes renting. Cost of living there is higher, but so is the incomes.

16. Which is high cost of living in Las Vegas or Birmingham (Suburb)?

17. angus_guy

angus_guy Well-Known Member

What are you looking for

I dont know of anywhere that is "PERFECT" however things are a lot different in the south than in west

I am in TN

What is your STATE INCOME tax rate in CA
    TN,TX and I think FL ...........0%

Sales tax rate TN 9.25%

Real Property Tax (not Chattle) $1500 for 300,000 of appraised value

vehicles after initial sales tax $40.00 per year

Utilities water and Electric (3000 sq ft plus barn ) $260

I drive 40 miles one way and have NO inspections

18. State income tax in CA was 6%.

Sale tax in CA was 7.25% to 8.25%.

We paid $400 for car tags a year.

House price in Los Angeles, San Jose, San Francisco, San Diego, Oakland, Orange County and all coast of CA was more costly than South. I did paid high water bills because of drought. It is more fashionable and style in L.A.

19. I live in Trussville and I love it! The property taxes are a little high for a 260,000 house with 3 acres we paid around $1300. But when I see the clean streets, clean stores, the police driving through the parking lots etc... it is well worth it to me. They just built a new primary/middle school and the city is constantly growing. I don't mind paying a little more when the money goes back into the community as it does with Trussville. Our water runs around $15 - $25 depending on if I'm watering grass and garden. The electricity is pretty much the same all over since AL power has all the electric around here. We have propane for heat and cooking so I would not be a good person to judge electric by. It is a town where you can be comfortable shopping at midnight and not worry of being harrassed. If you are looking for more of a small town atmosphere, Springville is about 10 minutes up I-59 and is within easy commuting to most places since it is right off the interstate. They don't even have a traffic light in Springville.