I want another buck!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Daisy's babies, Ester and Cadee, will probably be bred in late February/ March for late July/August babies. They would be about 7.5-8 mon old, and probably will be big enough. I can breed them to thier father, but a new buck would be preferred. I was wondering if anyone has a full pygmy buck for sale? I may consider using stud service, but i wont pay till after the kids hit the ground. I dont want to take my girls anywhere to get bred, so the buck would have to come here. Willing to sign a breeding contract for the stud service. The buck must be purebred pygmy, but perferrably not papered. I dont want them breeding to a common color, so anything other than a black or black agouti will be considered, unless it has lots of white. It can be under a year old, but must be old enough and big enough to breed. perferrably between 70-80 lbs adult weight, as my does are larger. We can work out the prices.
    thank you, sorry for all the restrictions, but im picky about these things!!
    ~Dona

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

You know what you can do, since I read in another post that quote "I think my buck is evil", yiou could sell the buck that you currently have, and use the money to buy a NEW buck, one that can breed with BOTH Daisy AND her babies. Just an idea, and it really depends on whether or not you still do not like your buck. Well see ya, bye.

3. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I am almost certain that nobody would do that. But I might be wrong....but I don't think you will find anyone willing to go out on a limb like that.

I agree with Goat Freak..is there anyway you could sell your old buck and buy a new one? Might help in the long run with inbreeding. OR you could try AIing your girls.

MotherClucker

4. Goat Freak

I would just like to say thank you for agreeing with me, if my parents did not like the way our mutt buck looks like I would do just as I suggested. Well gotta go, by.

5. Caprice Acres

No i dont want to sell him. I like him, the way he is set up, and his babies from this year. I dont think ill try AI.
    i wouldnt make anyone pay till after thier babies hit the ground, or untill after confirmed pregnancy by a licenced vet. its just not fair otherwise. I can see if your buck is worth alot, but mine really isnt "worth" too much. besides, who has unregistered pygmy buck sperm? probably no one. Even if i did find and unregistered pyg buck, it would probably be one of the more common collors. i would have to find a registered buck, pay for the sperm, pay for shipping, and then pay for the vet to "administer" it, then hope she takes. thats alot of money gone if she doesnt take.
    gosh that makes me sound really picky, doesnt it?
    thanks for suggesting that though!
    ~Dona~

6. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Even if that is the case that is how almost everybody does it. I have yet to meet a person who doesn't do it that way no matter if the buck is good or not or regestered or not...

And often times people will let you breed back for free if they come in heat again in 21 days or what ever...

Hope you find your self a good buck.

MotherClucker

7. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Most folks will guarantee that the doe is bred. If not, you can bring her back to be rebred. Most are not going to give you their buck for a period of time. If someone is keeping a buck, it is most likely a valued animal and important to their herd, and they will not risk letting you care for it unless they know you well and approve of your husbandry.

I don't know of anyone who will wait until a baby hits the ground before receiving a stud fee, in dogs, horses, cattle or goats. It just doesn't work that way. Especially for an unregistered animal, like you seem to be so insistent upon using. What incentive do you have to pay the stud fee five months after service? What are they going to do if you refuse, hold the non-existant papers? If you want your does bred, you should plan to pay up front, either by paying a stud fee, or by purchasing a buck outright.

8. Caprice Acres

Please do not lecture me. I do what I do for a reason. I really do not care what everyone else does. I wouldn't pay for stud fee untill after a confirmed preg. because my does are bred once a year at a specific time. If they don't get bred, then I have to wait a whole nother year till breeding season again. That means a totally unproductive year.
    Truly, Buying the buck is what I really want to do. It is what I planned from the start. btw, what incentive does the buck owner have to let me take the doe over to get rebred? He's already got my money. We can argue both sides, but I am not going to respond to that topic anymore.
    I do what I think best. I appreciate opinions of other goat people and of vets, but please only answer me If you have a buck for sale, or if you will have one for sale this winter or spring. I will take one born this winter or spring, as long as it is old enough to breed by next January.
    ~Thanks
    ~Dona~

9. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

You are seriously ridiculous and need to have some things examined.

You ask for opinions and them turn on the people who try to help you.

You obviously want a free breeding to your does.

10. Caprice Acres

Thanks RooMan, Ill go see my doc immediately. And Ill start adopting everyone elses opinion to be my own so no one will ever dissagre with me! :goodjob: Last but not least, Ill stop stealing breedings from everyone!! Everyone knows I do that ALLLLLLLLL the time!!! :rolleyes: You sure know me well!

I didnt really "turn on them" I just rejected thier opinion. I did thank them, you remember.

Now really, All I want is to find a buck. If you have a goat at stud and don't agree with my terms, fine. Just don't answer. What I really want is to buy a buck. After thinking about it, A Kid from this coming winter would probably work. I will probably just use the Father this year. I like to line up for a kid as early as possible, so I get to be one of the first to pick out my new kid.

11. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Dear me, Dona, it is somewhat offensive to accuse people of lecturing you and demand that no one answer who does not share your opinion and can not specifically do what you request, even if you DO close with "thanks".

This is a public, friendly forum, where we are accustomed to being able to share views.

Good luck getting what you want, though. Please excuse my answering after you specifically told us not to.

mary

12. Caprice Acres

Call me what you like. I tried to be polite up till RooMan's delightful comment. If I didn't come off as polite before then, I am sorry and I hope I did not offend, but I would like to say that it kinda offends me when people say "We dont do it that way, so neither should you." It doesn't make it any better when someone suggests that you are nuts for having a different opinion.
    Getting back to the main topic, I am still looking for that buck!

Thank you all for your opinions.
    ~Dona

13. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

She's 15. You guys give her a break.LOL When I was 15 I though I knew everything too !!!!!

14. Caprice Acres

:eek: coso, I don't know wether your post was supposed to be nice or not. (I don't know what my age has to do with anything. :confused: )

15. Goat Freak

I think that it has to do with being a teenager and the typical prejiduce against ALL teenagers, I am right there with you, I am only 14 though. Well just thought that I would tell ya my opinion. By the way coso I did not mean to be mean, just wanted to tell her. see ya, bye.

16. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

You are also paying someone for their time. When we had does over for stud It take over an hour alone. I do let them bring their doe back up to two more time if now bred. For one price. I now mostly offer stud of my bucks to friends. I keep a few extra and let 4-Her borrow them if need be. Or bring their does here for 45 days. But in our 4-H group we are all very close friends and I know all thier goats.

Liz in NY
    Teacup Farm

17. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

my goat, I don't believe that anyone was flaming you, they were simply explaining that the main reason for a buck is to breed. That the ones that have bucks for breeding will charge a fee to breed. If the breeding doesn't take, then you will usually be given the opportunity to rebreed. This is common practice. It doesn't mean that you have to give up on searching for what practice suits your needs. As a matter of fact, I have 2 bucks and I loan them for breeding and have yet to charge anyone. However, I personally have paid for having my mares bred and unfortunately it isn't just a couple bucks either. She had twins and they both died. Since her breeding took, I wound up with no foals, no rebreeding and out several hundred dollars. That is just a fact of life.

There is nothing wrong with being a teenager, however, there is still alot that life has to teach you and I think it is great that you are interested in your animals, it shows you have character, but please don't take offense when someone attempts to explain the common practice regarding any topic. Common practice isn't written in stone, they were simply trying to let you know not to get your hopes up in finding a buck and all your terms being met and not to be disappointed as your requirements are not common practice. I can understand your requirements as most teenagers don't want to waste their money and have nothing to show for it. That is why I loan out my bucks as most of the ones interested in goats in our area are teenagers and they are usually required to pay all cost involved with their animals. Since I appreciate the financial situation of most teens, I don't charge. Heck, I even paid to purchase a buckling from one of the teens that I loaned one of my bucks to for breeding.

18. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

By the way, some people, like me and some of my friends, have a separate area available, and if a doe is coming from some distance, we will board the doe for a month or so until she no longer comes into heat. That way we're pretty sure the doe has been bred, so the owner doesn't have to make the trip an extra time. If the doe is alone, we'll just leave the buck with her, and I'll keep an eye on the activity. If she's with friends, I'll only put the buck in when someone is flagging, and keep track of breedings.

I don't know how many does you have, but if you can't find a buck to purchase for this season, maybe you can find someone who will do this, and then you can feel more assured that the breeding has taken. I charge $0.50 to $0.75 per day for boarding, depending on the size of the doe, because that's about what it costs to feed them. (I feed free choice alfalfa pellets and nice grass hay.) Some charge much more, though, so it's worth asking what the boarding fee would be.

19. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

Hi MyGoat,

It doesn't sound like people are lecturing you. I think what people are saying is that it is improbable that you will find someone who will breed your goat outside of normal breeding practices - ie without requiring immediate compensation for service/care. What you want is the kind of deal you might get from a friend or neighbor, for the most part. It would be especially difficult to find with the color/breed/size constraints you have in addition to requirement for the deferred fee. If you are involved in 4H or FF - maybe a fellow member will offer you what you want. Good luck.