I want a store bought lathe

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sue currin, Oct 25, 2006.

1. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

Went to sears yesterday to buy a lathe and guess what? They don't sell them anymore. Where can I get one that want brake the bank?

2. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

3. sue currin

4. tricklecreek

tricklecreek Well-Known Member

sears has them on the website with store delivery. I didn't know they didnt have them in store anymore must be the Kmart effect. they even have on on sale now

5. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

6. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Try ebay within a 200 mile radius. Bet you will save a bunch of cash.
    clove

7. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Sue, check Uncle Henry's on a regular basis. There are great buys in there.
    Chas

8. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

WE recently sold one. Was asking 75 dollars and no one seemed to want to give that, so took it to an auction they have around our area ever Friday night, and it brought 90 dollars so made a bit more that way.

We had purchased it with a lot of other things at a government auction. It had hardly been used. DH already had one, so he didn't need two. Sorry didn't know you needed one.

9. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

Everybody is going pretty much Chinese nowadays, even Delta (although there are rumors some production is coming back to the U.S.).

For LOTS of woodworking opinions, try these guys:

www.sawmillcreek.org

10. logbuilder

logbuilder Well-Known Member

You don't need the highest quality lathe to get started but do look at a good set of turning chisels. Keep 'em sharp. Makes a huge difference in both your satisfaction as well as safety.

11. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Sue
    What are you going to turn with it. You may need a little one or a big one. and like what what was said before A good set of tools is important. You can start off with a good bowl gouge with a different "finger nail" grind as an all purpose to start with.

12. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Sears would be a good place to get one...ours is over 50 years old and we could still get parts,both from Sears and from online sources when we decided to haul it out of the dusty garage last year. DD turned some bowls and candlesticks for Christmas gifts....saw a great program on HGTV about a woman who turned giant bowls on an engine lathe and now DH wants one! He is a journeyman toolmaker so guess he'd know what to do with it. We've had fun with this smaller one turning wood from our property....who knew catalpa had such a pretty color and grain? Have black walnut squares curing and applewood,too. Another idea would be to advertise on your local swap line or shopper paper---lathes are kinda like Shopsmiths....many people think they'll do all kinds of glorious things on them and they soon get set aside as they do require practice to use. DEE

13. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

The best lathe I ever owned for the money was a used shopsmith.
    It has variable speed, and you get the benifit of a few other tools along with it.

14. sue currin

I want to turn table legs and bowls, I have used a metal latha alot in my work in the past, Only used a wood latha that we made when I was 18. Sears book only has one that goes up to 24".

15. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Sue
    Looks like your kinda between a rock and a hard place. I think its great that you want to turn. There has been a lot of articles on women wood turners in the mags lately. But I'm afraid its going to cost you some money for a decent lathe and tools. One nice thing is after your initial investment it shouldn't be real expensive after that.
    There are a lot of good lathes out there. And as KMA said the shopsmith makes a great lathe. Its what I use. Your best bet is probably at local estate auctions. Once in a while you can pick one up there pretty reasonable. Patarini had some good places. If you have a woodcraft in your area they have sales on the Rikon and classes. I would also check around and see if there are any turning clubs around you.
    Better you should get a good one and not be frustrated than buy something cheap. LEt me know if I can help any other way

16. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Find a local woodcraft store, or go to the american woodturners assoc, and find a chapter by you. Can probally get a used lathe for a good price, and if asked, u can probaLLy try a lot of lathes. For small bowls and table legs, look at the jet midi lathe, with extensions can turn a leg of (i believe) about 40 inches, and turn a 10 in diameter bowl. Also the delta midi is nice -- I currently have 1 jet midi and 2 teknatool mercury lathes (one is 1/2 horse, other is 1/4horse). Need a good lathe, a couple good tools and a way to keep them razor sharp! A cheep way is sears water sharpener -- used it till i could afford better! Good luck, any help I can send ya let me know.
    here is the link to the awa web site
    http://www.woodturner.org/