I want a bigger one!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by centexguy, Jan 19, 2005.

1. centexguy

centexguy Well-Known Member

I had a friend of mine dig me a small tank last summer. He had his D8 size Kumatsu dozer digging some small stock tanks next door and said he could dig me a tank cheap, since his dozer was already here and it cost him $200 to have it moved. Well, I didnt really have much extra money but I deceided to let him dig for 10hrs@$60hr. I wish I had more money at the time but I didnt.He asked me how deep I wanted it, I told him to keep digging til he heard Chinese, probably a mistake on my part. I wound up with a 100ft by 40ft by 10ft deep ditch. I dont know how good he is on that dozer by the way, but Im starting to wonder if I should use him again. when I get the money to dig it out some more.I know the price wasnt bad but two different guys I know, who do dirt work said he didnt do very well for 10hrs, but I told them it was fairly deep and the ground was very hard black clay. I dont know. Im hoping to have around 1500-2000 to dig some more here a month or so. Maybe Ill try a more experienced operator this time. I want a catfishing tank around an acre and 10-15ft. Maybe Ill use the money for a down payment on a used dozer and do it myself then hire a pro to clean it up.

what do you think?

2. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I think you got a BARGAIN. What you have there is almost an acre, 10 feet deep. Not bad at all, esp. in hard black clay. I've seen less done for a LOT more. Sixty bucks an hour for a D8 is a great deal.

3. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Better check your math Steve, that's only about a tenth of an acre, i.e. 4,000 square feet, not 43,560. 100 X 40 = 4,000

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Gotta agree.60/hr for a D8 is very good.Not sure how much he should have moved in 6 hours,but if cost of digging a pool is any indication,I think its a very good deal.I would pay it.

BooBoo

5. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

you're right. I musta had dyslexia. Had it in my mind as 100x400. :eek:
    Nevermind. :cool:

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want to enlarge the pond you have, you should look into the possibility of hiring a crane with a drag line to dredge out the dirt. They can go as deep as you want without having to have dry ground to opperate on. They also can swing several buckets of dirt while a dozer is making one trip. They possibly will charge more per hour, but will move more dirt out of your tank.

7. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

Well the dozer did move approx 1481 cubic yards of material (thats 148 avarage dump trucks) in one day, that pretty darn good especially for the komatsu version of a D8 (much lighter) and in hard clay. Sum it up you got a steal!