I visited the woolshed today.

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by John Hill, Jan 2, 2006.

1. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

[​IMG]

Unfortunately only a museum display but fairly well done I thought.

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Brilliant John; whereabouts is that display? I looked at the old machine and it took me back to the first woolshed I was ever in. Looking at the braces and the woman's frock (and the fact that she's wearing a frock), I would imagine the display is set around the late 40's, early 50's?

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Very cool John thanks for the picture!

4. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

The display is at Masterton, in the North Island of New Zealand about one hours drive north of Wellington.

They have relocated two sheds from the 1800s to the centre of town and built them into a museum. There are various displays including old wool presses, the Lister stationery engine to drive it all and of course a comprehensive collection of hand pieces.

I think the sheds have been reduced in size a bit and having only four stands would put them right in the middle of the range for typical NZ shearing sheds.

I expect the display could be dated to the 40s or early 50s at the latest as they are shearing with the old style flat fronted handpieces. I was shearing in the 60s and they were considered real antiques then.

It was an almost weird experience to stand there with no noise, no smells, and of course no live sheep!

There are a few details that could be added to the display. Most shearers would have a sweat towel hanging on a nail, they would usually have their watch on a nail above their porthole and of course the portholes would be open.

I wonder how much discussion there was before they put the Maori in the position of ringer?