I Understand But My Father Knows My Heart

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by big rockpile, Dec 13, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I was told I was wrong to go to a Ball Game with my Son on a Sunday.Because I was giving my Son that my commitment to the Church is not as strong as I tell my Son it is. Some times I get the feeling on the verge of Legalisim.Was also told that to get right down to it shouldn't go into a place that has alcohol,but it is awful hard considering it is in so many stores where you buy food and gas.

Ok Christians that belong to a Church.Do you follow the beliefs they teach in the Church to the Letter or do you pick and choose? :shrug:

big rockpile

2. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    Sounds like your conscience is right to me. We need not fear going anywhere for a good reason. I go into a grocery store at least twice a week, and I don't think that by doing so I am promoting the use of alcohol.

Taking your son to a ball game on a Sunday sounds like a very loving thing to do, and LOVE is the whole message.

Christ was very much against legalism. It's what's in your heart that matters.

3. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

Tonight is our church night. It was also the night the school decided to have the big Christmas party. Letters were sent to each of us to see if we would attend. There was no hesitation. No, we will not be there. It is our worship/study night. I know I missed out on a beautiful, steak dinner with all the trimmings and the Christmas bonus, but I was where I wanted to be......hugging all my other friends who declined to go as well and worshiping the Lord with songs and praise. It was nice to see another sight..when we went out to grab a bite to eat after church at the local cafe, one of the school board members was there with his church group. They didn't attend either, church came first. Each of us must make our own choices.

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Well, Sunday isn't the sabbath anyway... so it's not a day commanded for worship and lack of work/trading money. That's on the seventh day of the week. ;)

I don't just follow what's taught in church. I take it and compare it to the bible. Men fail, the Bible doesn't.

We don't pick and choose what laws to keep and when, we do as we were told by our Father. If your heart is right, you will actually WANT to keep his days. Having a right heart, and charactor is what we are all striving for. You don't get that by picking and choosing. Not trying to come down on you, just telling you what I would tell myself.

5. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I'm not a Christian, but I heard a very wise Christian say the following, in response to her not being in church on a Sunday:

"My father knows where I am."

I thought that was priceless, and it seem to shut the holier than thou party right up.

6. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I bet god was at the ballgame and skipped church too.

I dont blame him.

7. Reptyle

Reptyle Well-Known Member

He musta been the one there two fisting the brew and hotdog... :dance:

8. big rockpile

:eek: :eek: :eek:

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This is why I'm not religious anymore, but spiritual instead. I'll be danged if someone else is going to tell me what's right or wrong. God can tell me that Himself and I will gladly listen to Him, but not some judgemental idiot at church.

10. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

Our pastor touched on this subject the other day. He was standing in the hall talking to someone, the guy was asked to coach football, but said no because he would be missing out on his bible study. The pastor said, Go ahead and coach. We are ministers to our children. They need our attention. If we make time for God on a regular basis, then missing a bible study every now and then is perfectly fine. God knows what's on our hearts. He knows where our thoughts are.

11. wildhorse

wildhorse Well-Known Member

Big rockpile the church isn't an earthly building but the body and bride of Christ.
    As far as the alcohol issue goes who turned the water into wine if it were wrong dont you think Jesus would have said something.

12. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Alcohol is not spoken of badly in the Bible: drunkenness is.

Alcohol was EVERYWHERE back then, just as it is today. People were not told to avoid alcohol: they were told to avoid getting drunk.

Not to long ago, I decided to visit my land instead of going to church. I decided that I was in need of an act of Charity for MYSELF, and skipping church was the only chance I had to get away.

It was wonderfull, and my Father knew where I was and that no disrespect was intended. The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Then I went home and dealt with the broken dryer, the ailing and cranky kids, and had them do their homework. I knew it was going to be tough, and it was. That was why I took a break when I could.

13. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree!

As for alcohol, it isn't evil. Man made it evil by getting drunk and stupid.

Anyone, in church or otherwise, that would being trying to tell me where to shop or live or visit, would not have my respect. Therefore I wouldn't stick around.

It would be a cold day your-know-where when our pastor wold tell us not to go where there is alcohol. Heck, he has been known to have a brew or two.

14. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Anyone who tells me I have to be committed to a congregation rather than to the Lord is someone who needs to do a reality check.

Jesus did a lot of things on the Sabbath that ticked off the religious leaders of His day. Healing people, hanging out with "sinners" and such...

Frankly, I wonder if some "churches" would even let Jesus into their assembly. He was NOT the "Jesus meek and mild" so many people want to water Him down to be...

You went to a game with your son and spent time with him. That sounds like a healing sort of thing to me. But it totally doesn't matter how it sounds to ME, because (as has been pointed out) your Father knew exactly where you were.

Pony!

15. Melissa

Melissa member

I once read a quote that said, "Preach the gospel daily, if necessary use words." Our actions speak louder than words... Sometimes it is important to attend services, sometimes it is important to minister to our family and friends. I believe in our hearts we know when each is important. Follow your God-guided conscience, it won't lead you wrong.

16. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

I agree with Melissa, Pony and Special LAdy. Going to church will NOT save you. Your personal relationship with God is what's important. There are only 10 commandments in the old testament and 2 new ones; Love thy neighbor as thyself and Do unto others as you would have it done unto you. No where does it say no alcohol. But for those unable to control themselves, it would be prudent to avoid alcohol.

17. big rockpile

Well with the alcohol our Church is strange.Like don't go Bowling because they serve Beer.Some say oh I would love to go to a Ball Game but they serve Beer.Me I use to drink heavy and do Drugs.I still drink some but not near like I use to.And if its around me I don't have to have it.

I can understand Pastors not doing things because some look to them as how a Christian is to act.Then when they do something wrong it is a let down.But the last two Pastors I had commited adultry.Not saying it was right and it wasn't something a Pastor should be doing.But with the Pastor that I have now.When I gave him money to go to the needy and it didn't get there it botherd me so much more.I know they are Men make mistakes,same as me.

big rockpile

18. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Lord Sunday in Georgia is the offical day everyone mows their lawn. We make jokes about people want to see Jesus come back on a John Deere where we live lol.

I honor sundown on Friday until sundown on Saturday as my Sabbath. Jewish people and Christians have the same God, so why should we have different Sabbath?

Kat

19. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Me too :)

20. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

It's what is in the heart.The Almighty knows your heart.