Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued this older Boer mix doe in She is skinny, infested in lice and mites and who knows what else. I treated her back then and she’s improved but we are still struggling to get to the bottom of it.
i do not have a good goat vet in the area.
my Tx vet said he thought it looked like a skin infection and to wash her in a Lyme sulphur soap. So we’ve done that but that was all the help I got.
She’s itchy but not as bad anymore.
I have one other goat who I never see itch. He doesn’t have bald patches but his hair coat is definitely courser(since bringing the doe home). We do a copper bolus . THINGS WEVE TRIED
1. permethrin topically
2. Ivomec injections once weekly for 3 weeks
3. Dewormed (has a clean fecal now)
4. Diatomaceous Earth
5. Medicated baths
6. Lyme suphur dips

She is on pasture and grass hay, no feed currently.
what else can I try?
first picture is the day we brought her home (in the back of the truck) . The rest are from this morning.
B1467863-CEB1-405A-9CF4-2E72496C930D.jpeg
0B86E0C6-0896-485F-8C53-DD5F266CB8DC.jpeg
156FEC82-BF11-4882-82E1-7B47B1D99621.jpeg
5658E80D-0FBB-4972-8AC8-91D9B4CAACCA.jpeg
5A7986A1-18B4-49E4-A6CB-0EC2158DD085.jpeg
AB89A947-A8A7-4253-9445-821BEA4FA004.jpeg

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,472 Posts
How old? You said she was old, but if she is end of life old, there might not be much you can do. DE is a waste of money if used internally. Good for cabbage worms.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old? You said she was old, but if she is end of life old, there might not be much you can do. DE is a waste of money if used internally. Good for cabbage worms.
She’s about 8 years old from what I can tell I rescued her from an abandoned ranch she was the only one there she was tied to a post and had trough of water and had grass to eat

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lots of men dont do barrel racing becuase they are heavier coming around those turns and a lot more rough with animals that’s why you see them doing reigning, calf roping , and many other men type things women mainly do barrel racing becuase they are lighter o the turns and they aren’t so mean to the horses mouth cause were not so aggressive pulling to turn
Here’s some photos I found of male barrel racers
B75FF69D-36B2-486B-8252-C4C97CBA96EB.jpeg
323B16C2-2FB2-4C7E-BCC3-5573BC76CE7F.jpeg

·
STILL not Alice
20,132 Posts
I'd be sure to add raw apple cider vinegar to her diet, and either B complex injections, or B vitamin-rich foods. Work to strengthen the immune system.

To add weight, I've had fairly good success with feeding senior equine bag feed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uh sorry btw I didn’t notice I posted that barrel thing here I was private messaging someone lol they were asking if men barrel race

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is equine feed suitable for goats?
Here let me be more clear though so you don’t harm the goats
Horse "anything" fed alone, even pellets can contain up to 25% per ton of molasses - way to high for any ruminants! Sweet feed is fine for goats but there are sweet feeds that are specifically formulated for goats. Certain micronutrients in horse feeds are just not adequate for goats and some are excessive.

·
Premium Member
26,551 Posts
I never had either so I didn't know about the feeds.

I love watching barrel racing. The interaction between horse and rider is almost magical.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never had either so I didn't know about the feeds.

I love watching barrel racing. The interaction between horse and rider is almost magical.
Its not recommended becuase horses have to much in their feed and it could pretty much over dose the goat

·
Premium Member
26,551 Posts
I know too much molasses in cattle feed is bad. My grandpa said they become addicted to the sweetness. He mixed a little molasses for some trace nutrients but it was just a little. He mixed his own because he felt the ready made mixes had too much molasses. He always said the sweet feeds were bad because they had (in his opinion) way too much sugar.

I did know horses and goats have different digestive systems. That was why I asked if horse feed was okay for goats.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know too much molasses in cattle feed is bad. My grandpa said they become addicted to the sweetness. He mixed a little molasses for some trace nutrients but it was just a little. He mixed his own because he felt the ready made mixes had too much molasses. He always said the sweet feeds were bad because they had (in his opinion) way too much sugar.

I did know horses and goats have different digestive systems. That was why I asked if horse feed was okay for goats.
Yeah I recommend just to feed goats feed that’s meant for them

·
STILL not Alice
20,132 Posts
Is equine feed suitable for goats?
I feed the senior in addition to the regular grain ration (dry oats/alfalfa pellets/BOSS). A fistful or two in their feed bucket is just an extra that helps the gals who may be struggling.

This year, we've had a couple strugglers. <sigh>

Almost lost my two oldest, favoritest girls. One had a huge dead buckling on board. Ozarks Jewels helped me to dissect the kid so we could save Sunny. Other gal got a raging diarrhea that made her look like a concentration camp survivor.

Goats. They'll always get to you, either by melting or breaking your heart.

Reactions: mzgarden

·
STILL not Alice
20,132 Posts
BTW, I do not give sweet feed for fear of messing with their rumens. Sold a couple of healthy, bred (turned out to be triplets) does a few years back. The buyer fed them sweet feed exclusively (she said her vet told her to), then came back to accuse me of poor breeding, causing them to have great difficulties kidding.

Yeah... Feed a child nothing but Butterfingers and see how well they fare. Same for pregnant goats.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I never use any kind of sweet feed. I buy in bulk and sweet feed will mold in the summer and freeze solid in the winter. I feed clean dry grain with supplements.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts