I took the goat plunge!! hehe!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Mar 9, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Well I bought a nanny Saanen goat today w/ a little floppy eared buck on her and then another little alpine (?) doe today to bottle raise. I think I did good but I don't know. He charged me $135 for everyone and the mommy is in milk of course and pretty tame. We were in their small area and there were kids jumping (all 3 of mine and 3 belonging to the people and then of course the goat kids) and about 6-8 goats in the pen that was maybe about 10X15?? and that mommy actually let me try to milk her. She didn't have a lot in there but she does have her baby on her and he has all he wants and I don't know what she if fed. She even let my kids try and they are 5 and 6. They wondered why nothing came out. HAHA!! Pretty sure they didnt' do it real well. So she passed the test of a lot of commotion!! I might go ahead and get another little doe baby but dont know yet. I don't wanna get too big too quick but oh well......they're so cute!! Anyway I'm sure I'll be having LOTS of questions for you all!! HAHA!

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

congratulations i hold a soft spot in my heart for saaanens , and even though i own all alpines now , my first goats were gorgeous white saanens, welcome to the club, you'll have to have someone close to you teach you the handshake
    ;)

i assume youre planning on a much larger pen for your goats, and i would definately worm with that many in such a small area, theres bound to be parasite issues :D
    good luck , we'll be here for you

3. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Oh yes of course! HAHA~ I plan on making my pen I think about 14x14 or so but not real sure. A groundhog or something has made home where I want home for my goats! So I need to do something quick as I need to get them in a couple days. To my suprise my hubby actually listened to me babble about the goats! He was dead against them at first but mellowed out after it was "Ok since I'm not gonna get a goat how about another cow! I found a jersey I want! " HAHA!! If it had been an angus ok but he ain't much on milk cows! HAHA! They're my thing.
    But thank you for the welcome. By the way what do you feed your goats. My neighbor said to just get a nice goat mix from the store and she feeds hers linseed pellets and they have a real nice shiny coat now.

4. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

CONGRATS!!!!!!!
    HAHA got bit by the goat bug
    Aren't they so awsome?????
    I use to have Nubians and LaManchas years
    ago when my sons were in 4H.
    Been thinking about getting some for me now.
    I miss having them around, love the milk and cheese.

Congrats again, have fun, they are so sweet and dog like in many ways.
    Mine use to follow the kids around.
    Oh and a cute game for your 2 and 4 legged kids
    When the boys were 7 and 8 Can do it at 4 and 5 too.
    We got a couple of those giant wooden spools they have cable strung on.
    Put one or two in the yard, once the goats get to know the your children and
    start following them, you children can run, jump on the spool and jump off.
    Our goats use to run behind the children and jump up and on and off the spools
    right behind the boys. It was so cute to watch them all play.