I too am New on here------Hello

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Fire-Man, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I ran across this site a few days ago---------Very Interesting!!!. I have been living Off-Grid for around 5 years, except for my part-time business(shop), which is also on my property, but my shop is on the front part of my property, I live about 1/2 mile behind my shop next to a beaver-made lake. I love my place, and Love living where and the way I live. I do have 4-80 watt solar panels on a home-made tracker, gives me all the electric I need for myself, but I "cheat" and wash my clothes in my work shop. I bought a portable sawmill a few months back, I want to build myself a Cabin/House next to the Lake and I want to saw most All of my Lumber, got about 1/2 of it cut and air drying. It will take me days to read alot of these threads on here, but I wanted to "Speak" and ask if there is anyone on here that lives in South Carolina-----Close to Myrtle Beach? Also I wonder if there is alot of you on here that lives Off-Grid? Hello---And Thanks. Randy

2. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board Randy. We made my hen house from lumber we had milled from a portable sawmill.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Good luck on your house Nan.

3. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

Do you have a dalmation, Fire-Man?

4. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

No, No Dalmation-------I am not a Fireman(used to be a Vol)-----------I am a CBer, My CB handle is FIRE-MAN. I sell, and repair CB equipment as a Part-time job. Randy

5. Conni

Conni Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board Randy! I am new here too. I am really enjoying all the information I am finding here and the nice people!
    Good luck building your cabin. Sounds awesome. I am enjoying reading about people who live off the grid. I dont know if I could ever do it personally--but am amazed at the amt of people who are doing it!

My dh built a small 1 room A-frame cabin on the lake where we live. It isnt log. He had no road on the property for a few yrs so he carried all the lumber and building supplies over on an old pontoon boat. It is going on about 10 yrs now and it still isnt finished on the inside. We do something to it every yr when we can pay cash for it. This yr we finally had cabinets put in it. LOL!!! Dont ask me if we have had time to finish them out. It will be so nice to have a finished working kitchen that is organized. It has been like *camping* out there. Now it will be so much better (on me!).

Have fun building it!! We talk about building a log cabin to live in someday. I'd LOVE that.
    :)

6. Conni

Conni Well-Known Member

BTW Nan-- I love your hen house. Looks very nice!

7. D

D Well-Known Member

Welcome.

My cabin was framed with roughsaw lumber except for the trusses (found some the truss company had designed the wrong size for someone else, so they sold them at cost). The siding is ~1" pine from the homemade sawmill my ex built. Last summer it was extremely wet here and my siding molded (even with double coats of solid-colored stain inside & out). I still suspect we didn't let the boards dry quite as long as we should have. I assume you're "stickering" the wood. We literally turned ours about semi-yearly and moved the the little sticks to different locations each time.

This place is wired for 12 volt just in case I come up with the moolah and the guts someday, but for now I'm definitely on the grid. But my electric bill was only $37 last month -- advantages of super insulation and 425 square feet. (And I do have those normal energy suckers: microwave, dryer, ... I know, I'm a little bit of a cop-out.)

The Myrtle Beach area is really nice -- but I was floored a few years ago at the difference in the color of the water from downtown to several miles north. Amazing and sad what urban living does to the environment.

Sounds like you're already one of "us" HTer's, you just didn't know it. Good Luck.

8. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Fire-man! If you get a chance, check out the archives. Lots of topics covered over the past 5+ years.

9. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Fire-Man & Conni! Lots of good info & experience here. Enjoy!

10. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome Randy, good people and advice here.
    Ed

11. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi Randy;
    WELCOME! Wow I'm glad you posted. I would lOVE to live off the grid. You certainly have a wealth of information to share. How did you get started with you solar energy system? Where did you purchase your solar panels? Did you install the system yourself? You are off-grid in NMB area? Between Little River and NMB?
    It is SO cool that you are going to build your own cabin, with lumber you have milled yourself. My husband and I built our home ourselves. Nothing grand, just 24' x 32' with a sleeping loft, front and side porches.
    If you're ever on HWY 17, the main drag, stop in NMB chamber of Commerce. My husband painted the murals there and in The Grand Strand Resort and Vacations (?) realty office on Main Street. He also painted the murals and did most of the paintings in The Outrigger Seafood Restaurant.
    Anyway, WELCOME, neighbor.
    Have a blessed day!
    tamilee