Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had not seen any hummingbirds in a few days so I thought they had already flown south but just in case I cleaned the feeder good and refilled it one more time. Within thirty minutes a bird was at the feeder. So far I've only seen one. There's usually three or four fighting over the feeder.

I'm going to miss them. We have the feed hanging where I can see it from the large window in the den area. They're my entertainment swooping in and out drinking and dive bombing the other hummingbirds to keep them away from the feeder.

There's still a good number of bright yellow butterflies flitting around so I can watch them until they're gone too.

I love fall because the temps have cooled off some and the leaves are beginning to turn but it's kind of a sad time too because the hummingbirds leave, the butterflies go also and a little later on the trees will be bare. At least the roses are still blooming for now.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
They summer well north of Mississippi. My neighbor and I saw one perhaps a week ago here in western NY. Likely it had been in Canada, and after flying over Lake Ontario really needed to feed. You could leave your feeders out a little longer just in case there are late passers-by.

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
Saw the last one around here just after Labor Day. Left the feeder out till last weekend, just in case....... no takers though.

This past week I did notice that the Blue Jays are back from their summer retreat......hummm.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
About 10 years ago I remember standing on my deck and a hummingbird hovered about 8 inches from my face. I bet I was cross eyed looking at it for those few wonderful seconds!

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
The migration has thinned considerably here, but we still get a few stragglers. A month ago I had four feeders with up to 30 hummers a day, now it's down to 2 or 3 a day, and they don't stay long. I keep my feeders up until Thanksgiving as I have seen a few in November in past years, and around here there's nothing in bloom they can feed on at that time of year.

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
A lot of our Hummers cleared out within the last week or so. But I generally keep the Six feeders filled until they are all gone. Yesterday we were down to about a dozen or so little birds. But I've only seen one or two out there this morning.
I expect they will all be gone, in another day or two.
But, they'll be back again, come next Spring, when all the flowers are out in bloom.
And they'll be flying around looking for their Feeders.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I saw my last one last week. I have a bunch of bee balm outside my back door and there are usually quite a few there. But they are gone for the season. I found a hummingbird nest in my azalea this year. Amazingly tiny.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
They're the cutest little things! I found one at our previous house and it consisted mostly of our dog's hair. He's part Corgi so he has a ton of it and I always brush him outside. I used to compost it, but now I just leave it in a pile outside. It's so nice and soft that I know the birds love it. I always find it in all sorts of other nests...

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
I still have a couple feeders out for the Hummingbirds. Yesterday I saw birds on both the feeders. Once or twice I saw 2 or 3 birds out there at the same time.
I'll leave those feeders up and keep them filled with fresh syrup. until I don't see any birds at all, for a couple of days. Edit to Add........ The little guys might need some good sugar syrup, to help them on their way South

Reactions: southrngardngal

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We still have one hanging around our feeder. That's all I've seen for the last few days but I will also leave my up for a while longer in case some come by while flying from the northern states. There will be food for them.

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
We had two at a feeder, the day before yesterday. And a single one showed the next day, a few times through the day yesterday. I haven't seen a One this morning though.
I'll probably wait until tomorrow to take down the last couple feeders.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I brought in my feeder monday,we had frost sunday morning.I do hope they are gone I wouldnt want them to be cold.Can only use one feeder,have tried several placed around the yard & they fight over one !

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Interesting that you folk who are in the warm south (from my viewpoint) don't have humming birds all winter, but we in the Pacific northwest do. The Annas live here year around. We sometimes see others too, but we can leave feeders out all winter for the Annas who have a rough time when it snows.
Kit

1 - 20 of 26 Posts