I think we might have Bluetongue

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Sprout, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    I have book knowledge of this disease but have never seen an actual infection, have no clue what to do for it except supportive care. Here is the case

7 month old suffolk ewe lamb, closed herd, no illness in any of the stock on the farm

Noticed she was down more than she should have been today. Went out to check on her and found a depressed, sluggish but not lame monkey faced lamb. Her muzzle is swollen and there is a good deal of froth and mucous around her mouth, no long drool strings but she is very wet in that area. Nose also has a lot of mucous around it, mixed with some other material (cannot determine if it is from her or if it is dust and debris). She has a will to eat but trouble doing so because of the swelling, can get her to eat grain and she cannot swallow much of it. Have not yet seen her drink. Very skinny, rumen is empty like she hasn’t been eating. Low grade fever of 104.1. Respiration rate elevated slightly but no phnumonia breathing. Sores in the mouth (Could not get a very good look at it) small amount of blood in corners of mouth, tongue not cyanotic, slightly red and swollen.

Is this blue tongue? Are there any other diseases that present like this or have similar symptoms? Also can sheep have bran mash or another mushy thing she could easily eat? Right now I am giving her Nutridrench and grain, when she'll take it, but I would rather have something she will eat so her rumen can work on something. Other than supportive care is there anything we can do for her? Have her isolated, on antibiotics, water and just about every different food we have to offer her.

2. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

Have you had a vet look at her ?
    Not familiar with Blue Tongue....is it possible that she has eaten something toxic.....cherry tree shoots, acorns, toxic weed, paint with lead in it ?
    When was she last dewormed ?

Something that would mix easily might be baby food ...oatmeal is ground up nicely.
    Probiotic, yogurt....

Then there are vitamins she should be getting, sub Q fluids etc....

These are just ideas that come to mind but this sounds serious and I would have a vet look at her asap.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Some of the symptoms sound right but 104 is just barely above normal range. From what Ive read a high fever is a usual indicator. Giving antibiotics wont do any good since Blue Tongue is caused by a virus. There are no treatments but most sheep get over it in a week or 2. Vitamin B shots could help with the stress

4. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    Nooo I want to go cry. I'm almost posotive that it's blue tongue. A month before breeding season and I'm going to have a blue tonge outbreak! Other than vain methods of flyspray and swat how do I keep it from spreading. I've eliminated all standing stagnant water on our farm but that doesn't mean our neighbors don't have some. I hate this kind of disease. You can't treat it all you can do is sit there, supportive care or not I'm still expecting fatalities. I could give it all up when it comes to times like these.