Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our two calves, Secret the Jersey heifer and Meatloaf the Dexter steer, outgrew the pen we were keeping them in. They hardly knew which way to go next in their bigger space. I hope this works!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That "green grass" is mostly green weeds, but it seems the calves like them. The horses fall all over themselves trying to get into that lot, and then they eat as though they're starving, even though they have twenty or so acres of not-so-green REAL grass, clover, and other proper horse food.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
That was soo cute.You cant help but ssmile. Can I sugest One thing. Im a little worried abut the pile of sand. Watch the cattle and make sure they dont eat too much of the sand. My inlaws lost horses to sand impacting. I dont know if cattle will eat sand till they die like a horse has.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Once the "new" wore off, now they don't even go near the sandpile. No danger, I'm sure.

My main concern was seeing that they get plenty of water. We have an in-ground waterer in that pen that is covered by a black rubber flap they have to push back in order to drink, and I worked with them to make sure they knew how to get a drink. It's handy to have a halter-broke calf at times like that: I simply led Secret to the water and showed it to her, and she drank. Once I stepped back, Meatloaf joined her, and they both drank. So different from the horses, who at first seem to think there's a boogie-man behind that black flap when you try to teach them to drink from the in-ground waterer.

With 100 degree heat every day, I take no chances on them dehydrating!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As far as I know it's all Dexter. We got him just so Secret would have a buddy. I would have preferred a Jersey steer to fill that spot, but none seemed to be available nearby, and a fellow on this forum offered me this guy at a price I could afford. Meatloaf was awfully "mature" to neuter, but hubby managed to get the rubber band in place.

Secret was so bored being the only bovine here that she'd butt at me when I tried to pet her. Her manners are much improved since Meatloaf moved in. As soon as she grows up and has her own calf to keep her company, Meatloaf will be... meat loaf.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Not Donna but I'll answer that question darn quick. Absolutely NOT a cross. He's out of a cow with excellent bloodlines: B&H Autumn Surprise #6796 by Shucks Red Dandy #7393 one of the best looking Dexter bulls I have ever seen!! And neither dam nor sire, or any other Dexter I own, has one drop of Outlaw, Platinum, or Notting blood, a fact I am very proud of. Granted he's not a great looking animal, that's why he was culled and sold as a meat animal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.