I think the situation just got worse!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Goat Freak, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I posted before that my little mutt goat, Lola, looked pregnant, and she is only 6 months old :( ! She is a mutt goat so I do not know how big she has to be to go through this but she is already just an inch or so away from being as tall as her mama, but she is not filled out as much. I do think though that somewhere in her bloodlines is pygmy and possibly Nubian. Abortion is not an option, unless there is no other way because my mother does not trust any old vet to do it, we do not have any goat vets near us, and she does not like the idea of abortion anyway, so we can't. Last time I almost started to believe that she wasn't pregnant, that it was just something weird that some does go through, but now her udder is twice as big as it was when I orignlly posted, so now I really need to know if she could do it, if there would be any hance for the babies, and basiclly if there is any hope. If it comes down to it I will try to talk my mom into abortion, but I do not think that it would work with my dad. Also her mother had triplets on her first time and is pregnant with triplets now, so does that mean that she would have triplets tooo, is it heriditory. I really do need help, so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

OK first of all when is your doe due to kid? How old will she be when she kids.

Calm down. In nature this happens all of the time and does live through it. If you are really set against having the abortion (and by the way a vet dosen't have to do this, you just give them a shot of Lutalyse and she will abort herself.) then don't freak out.

Look around for an experienced large animal vet that has been practicing with goats. It may be aroubd 60 miles from you but find one. When your doe goes into labor be there and watch for any problems. If you sense something is not going right take her into the vet for a C-Section.

It would be easier to abort her now than to pay the money to get her to the vet incase you needed a C-Seaction.

If you are still not wanting to abort her then don't. Do NOT feed her an overload on grain. Feed her all of the best quality hay you can find free choice. Limit her grain intake as this is what causes the babies to grow so big so fast. Give her a cup twice a day and that will be plenty. Make sure she has free choice goat minerals and lots and lots of clean water.

The chance of her having triplets is a decent one. However, you would rather have triplets than one or two huge kids. One or two small kids is nice but just remember not to overload her on grain.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

i hope you the best. tripleting is hereditary, in most cases, though if it is a first pregnancy, she may single or twin. daisy twinned this year and it was her first pregnacy. my friends' goat got pregnant by accident at 6 monthes. she had an abnormally small baby doe, which she still owns. 4 month old regular babies are larger and heavier than the tiny doe, who is now two years old. she weighs about 20-30 lbs, and is kinda sickly. hopefully this ( the size, not the health !) will happen with your doeling.
    accidents do happen and ill bet that everyone on this forum has or knows a doe bred too early by accident. i belive that even though the doe isnt in heat she can get bred, so this is what may have happened with the your doeling, b/c it is doubtful that she went into heat this early. she was raped!
    just keep doing everything for her. i belive there is hope, in all cases. call a vet nearby, and tell them your story. a cat/dog vet may help, but a livestock vet is more likely. ask if they can come out when she goes into labor, of if you can take her in immediately after she starts contractions.
    good luck, i wish you well. :eek:

4. Goat Freak

Thank you so very much. She was running with her dad since she was 1 month old up until she was 3 months old, at which time we saw him "catch" her, got freaked out, and moved her, her mother, and her sister out of the pen. We only kept her in so long because we thought that they could not go into heeat until they were 4 months old. Come to think of it, I think that , oh yeah there is a vet, I just remebered. When our little boy got urinary calculi we found out that our dogs vet knew a goat vet in the area, it was too late but maybe it will help now.

5. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Ok so I am guessing he probably only got her at about 3 months. So by the time she kids she will be about 8 months old. About 4 months pregnent start adding grain twice a day. I give my milkers 3lb of dairy goat grain. I use 16% and feed it twice a day as I milk my does. They get 1 1/2 pounds morning and 1 1/2 pounds at night.

Do NOT abort her. It will be MUCH MUCH more stressful on her than if she kids. Also to trnubian goats in the wild are wild. We have domesticated the goats so much that they are much more prone to problems than their wild friends. So in the wild it is a much different story than a domestic animal.

Goat freak I am sure she will be fine. Just be there to help and if possible have a vet there to as you may have to help pull the kid out.

Look up here www.fiascofarm.com on their kidding stuff. They have some wonderful info on kidding and that really helped me out. Remember if you have to help the kid out only pull DURING contractions and even then slightly unless more force is needed. Never pull when she is not having a contraction.

I wish you the best ok luck!

MotherClucker
    ps: Calm down also hun..she will be ok..it might be hard but she can be pulled through it.

6. Goat Freak

Thanks MotherClucker, you sure are a big help, so is everyne else on this board, so Thank You Everyone. Thank you so very much.

7. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I had a young doe do this last year. She delivered at 7 months old. I did not even know she was pregnant till she delivered. The baby did not survive. Althuogh it looked full term the mom had no clue what to do. I did learn something. When a new mom delivers often if she does not know what to do instint takes over. This little baby did not move or make a sound. I think if mom heard or saw her she might have reacted. I had been watching for this behavior with my others since then and noticed that many times even does who have had babies before wait till they hear the new baby make noice befor they start licking. Perhaps it is not worth the mothers effort if baby is not strong enough from the beginning. So be aware that mom may not know what to do, but you will.Good luck and don't worry.
    Steff

8. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i don't understand why an abortion, when the fetuses are still little is more stressful for a goat that is way too young to give birth to a full term single buck kid?
    MC could you explain please?
    susanne

9. susanne

i forgot to say, don't hope for multiple birth in this young age.
    only thing you need to abort her is a shot of lutelase. don't need a vet for this. so your mom don't trust your vet? what do you do if your doe kid needs a cesarean?
    you still can do a blood test to see if she is pregnant or not.
    susanne

10. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Because Susanne the kids would now be around 3 months old inside of her. If they where only like 1-2 months that is different but at three months it is to hard on the doe.

Either way it will be stressful..but if I was in her shoes I would let her go full term. She will be around 8 months old then. My friend had a doe who was a nigerian bred to a boer (accident) and she pulled through fine. It was rough on her but she made it through as did the kid (single LARGE buck kid mind you). But my friend had a vet there with her. If at all possible have a vet with you when she kids Goat Freak.

MotherClucker

11. redcedarfarm

redcedarfarm Active Member

I have a pygy that is a rescue and she is also pregnant and VERY small. I takled to my vet about lut. as we have used it before but he said that she is too far along and it would cause more trouble because her cervix would not open up as big because her body wouldnt be ready to kid. Makes sense.
    Dawn

12. susanne

if this kid is three month pregnant than the baby inside her is still very little. i would not go to term and risk the life of my doe. but this is my very own opinion
    susanne

13. Goat Freak

The only thing is that we have never had experience with the vet, our dogs vet just told us about heir friend who is a goat vet, and our dogs vet is related to us so we trust them ist's just that we have had no experience with their friend. By the way if it was multiple births why would that be bad :shrug: ? Would'nt that just mean more but smaller babies, that sounds easier than one big one :confused: .

14. Goat Freak

Thank you all of you, you are all being so helpful, I hope she does just fine. Thank you all for your support.

15. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

It has been my experience and many others I know that the more babies there are, the smaller they are. One single kid is ussually large. I wold rather have smaller mutiples than one large kid.

Kids are normally about 10" long by 3 months. They are not tiny, but by no means are they full term size. They are also much more pliable at this stage than at full term.

I realize that we have domesticated goats and they are much differnt than wild goats. However, I was just recognizng the fact that this happens in the wild all of the time. It also happens all of the time in herds where the owners let everything run together year round. It happens all of the time. The owners may just be people who rent out their goats for grazing and the more the better is their philosophy. They don't care how they get them.

She should be fine. Get ahold of the goat vet, ask some questions and tell them your problem. Feel them out. In the end you are going to have to trust someone if you can't handle things that get out of control. If she has had experience with goats, I would say go for it.

Again I say be careful on the grain. Think about it. The more you feed her, the bigger those babies get. I'm not saying to cut her grain out, just DON"T increase it any more now. 1 cup twice a day is plenty. A good idea for you is to feed her 2 cups of grain a day and mix in one cup of beet pulp into the grain. Beet pulp has empty calories that she will consume more readily than the kid or kids will. It will help prevent pregnancy toximia. LOts and lots of fresh quality hay and water. That's where your focus should be.

16. Goat Freak

Thank you so much, where do you get beet pulp?

17. redcedarfarm

redcedarfarm Active Member

You can get the beet pulp at Tractor Supply or your feed store.
    Good Luck
    Dawn

18. Goat Freak

Thank you so much!