I think strawberries were hit with frost...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by hengal, Apr 5, 2006.

1. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

I was looking at my strawberry patch over the weekend and saw that several of the leaves were half brown, looked like frost damage, and we did have a relatively hard frost a couple of weeks ago. Guess they were not covered good enough. Will this hurt the production of the plants? The rest of the plants themselves look very good and green, with the exception of some of the brown leaves.
    I ordered these plants bareroot last spring and basically ignored them after I planted them, with the exception of pinching off the buds they set last year. (was this right?) These are Ozark Beauty, the everbearing variety. Now I'm going to be a part of a farmers market this summer and thought the strawberries might be a candidate to bring. I will be cutting the runners and replanting them this weekend in another bed, so hopefully they will be productive plants next year. Any other suggestions on the "mother plants" ? Fertilizers?, etc?.
    Thanks!

2. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Seems like in Indiana it might still be early for strawberries to be coming out of their dormant period...I'll bet when your weather gets warmer they'll spout new green leaves. Would take more than one hard frost to kill them off....give them a chance!!! Here in way so. Mo ours are just starting to grow under Remay. DEE

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Ours are just coming up. They can stand to be frosted. The blossoms can't however. That's the main reason to cover them, so they are slower coming up, and don't bloom too early. I'd think it's late enough now to have them uncovered.
    After all the plants in Indiana are one hour earlier than they have been for several years. LOL

4. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

"After all the plants in Indiana are one hour earlier than they have been for several years."

:bouncy: LOL!! Your'e right Uncle Will! They're probably just as confused as the rest of us!! :confused: LOL.