I think some of my NZW does have ear mites...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by southrngardngal, Dec 26, 2005.

1. southrngardngal

southrngardngal Well-Known Member

A couple of my NZW does have a dark spot deep in their ear. I read some articles on ear mites and it looks like that is what this is in my doe's ear. One of the articles said that the mites aren't contagious but another says the mites are very contagious. What have you found about the contagiousness (is there such a word?) of the ear mites. Will I need to treat all the rabbits? They don't share cages but are near each other.

Do you have any medication that you reccommend and how do you use it? We will go to our co-op first thing in the morning and get some medicine for this.

One thing I need to add is that one of the does is bred so I need medication that won't harm the kits.
    Thank you for your advice.

Jan

2. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Personally, I would put a few drops of mineral oil in the ear, and gently massage the base of the ear. The massage will probably feel good to the doe, and the oil will drown the ear mites. If there aren't ear mites, the oil still wouldn't hurt anything.

If you feel better about an actual medicine for ear mites, the ones available at your local co-op work fine, too.

I would not treat the ones that don't seem to have the condition. I'm not really sure about the level of contaigousness of ear mites. I've had it crop up in two different does, but everyone else's ears are clean. I check them all periodically. Better to catch it when it first develops than when it's produced bloody scabs all over the interior of the ear!

Good Luck! Please let us know how it goes.

NeHi Mama

3. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Baby oil is better than the commercial products. One rabbit I got had bad ear mites and had been treated for them repeatedly. One dose of mineral oil and they were gone.

4. southrngardngal

southrngardngal Well-Known Member

Thank you for the advice. We treated the ones that had ear mites with the mineral oil.
    I have another question. Will I need to treat them again in a couple of days or just wait and see? There were several that had the start of the mites down in their ears so maybe I got to them before they get too bad. Some of them were clear as could be.

Thanks again for the help.

Jan

5. markm240

markm240 Well-Known Member

I take a cue tip and dig out the crust after the oil has loosened it up and then treat with more oil every 2 days for a week and then most times it is gone for good