i think my tractors sexy,

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ejsmomma, Nov 20, 2005.

1. ejsmomma

ejsmomma Active Member

but it's breaks are gone :sing: anyway, i'm no kenny and i the tractor is my moms. my questions are, how do you change breaks on a big tractor (i think my mom's fience tightened them up but for future reference) and how do you fix the power steering on a tractor. all i know is it is big, yellow, and has front lift attatchements. i think it is a macy and 60's model. not sure exactly. anyway, if anyone can recomend a book or something i would really appreciatie it. my brothers keep saying they will fix it but if it's going to get done i'm going to have to do it............. or pay someone. anyway, thanks in advance

renae

2. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I would think the first step would definitely be in knowing for certain your make/model/year, make some calls, check on-line then go from there. Deb

3. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

I don't normally correct spelling but if you want to do a google search or something like that its 'brakes'. No biggy.

Yeah I know, this from a guy that tries to breed cougars with stray dogs.

4. BigBoy

BigBoy No attitude here...

From your description it sounds like it may be a Massey Fergusen industrial model. And possibly a model 50. Yes, you will need to be sure of that. Look for a tag on the dash area.
    And try the forum at ytmag.com. Those guys can answer all your tractor questions.
    Be safe while working on it!

5. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

If you do a search there is an antique tractor forum where you can get pretty much any question answered...and yes your sexy tractor is an antique.
    I think they are the best kind and the only kind most of us can afford.

PQ

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Do yourself a favor and get someone to do the work who knows how. It's not a job for a first time mechanic. You could ask your brothers who they would reccomend you hire to do the job, because it's evident that they aren't going to. That might push them into action.

7. ejsmomma

ejsmomma Active Member

i have done car brakes before (and thanks for the spelling, wasn't paying attention) but i think the brakes for now are okay on it as they were tightened. it's the power steering that is completely gone. i've begged my oldest bro to fix it or tell me who can. he will this weekend, 4 yrs ago. i will look when it stops raining. as soon as i get it fixed, i'm going to learn to drive it................ watch out trees!!!!!!! thanks for the advice..........

renae

8. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

http://www.ytmag.com/

Go to the site linked above.

On the left side you will see a photo section. By looking at the pics you will figure out what Make you have.

Then go to the Discussion Groups based on your make. You will find what you see.

9. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Browse the web for an Operator's Manual and a Service Manual. Most of the ones available will be reprints, not originals; but, for a working tractor not a collector's item, who cares?

The manuals aren't expensive. I just bought one (for a Fordson Major I just bought) on eBay for $20.