Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of all my children my youngest is very picky.Tonight for instance we had Beef Stew and cornbread for dinner."But MOMMMM,you KNOW I don`t like Beef Stew!"I know he does not like meat very much,so I suggested he eat only the veggies.No Go.Well I`m very tired of preparing meals and all he does is complain.It`s his choice whether or not he eats.But he`s not going to eat cereal which is what he hopes I`ll give him.And this is all after a 2 hour football practice,you`d think he`d be hungry!
I was helping out at his school today and I noticed his tray at lunch.He had one slice of watermelon,a roll and a chocolate lowfat milk and that`s it.He didn`t take the spaghetti or green beans.
Tonight he went to bed with nothing more on his stomach besides gator-aid(from fb practice) and a vitamin.
With my grown children I used to insist they eat what was put before them,sometimes they would sit there for an hour or more.It was always an unpleasant battle.But they were not anywhere near as picky as my youngest. I guess I`m either burnt out..lol..or have mellowed.
Do any of you make special menus for your kids that differ from what the rest of the family is having?

Sharon

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Nope, my kids had to eat what I fixed or do without. They were picky and I did adjust my cooking somewhat (I had to put spaghetti sauce in the blender because they didn't like chunks in their spaghetti), but they had to eat what I fixed. I did try to fix at least one of their favorites every night with the other items, but I never fixed something special just because they wouldn't eat.

·
Site Admin's Boss
481 Posts
Honey,

Don't start with the special menus. You will regret it down the road. With every one of my kids they had a stage where they lived on crayons and air. My mom kept assuring me they wouldn't starve to death and she was right.

This phase shall pass. Hang in there momma.

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Children in this house eat what is put in front of them, or not -- but they do *NOT* get a substitute meal, and they SIT at the table while the rest of the family eats, and they are NOT excused until everyone is done.

If they choose to not eat, that is their business, but there is NOTHING until the next meal.

Funny, they all try it -- but they all get over it the minute they realized that when Mom says NOTHING ELSE, that's exactly what she means. My youngest is incredibly picky, but he still eats what is put in front of him, because he knows that if he doesn't, he's going hungry.

For instance, he hates beans. With a passion, he hates beans. However, I am the next best thing to a vegetarian (I eat VERY limited quantities of meat -- my system doesn't digest meat very well), and therefore, we eat a lot of beans. Beans are a good, healthy, cheap protein, and I'm afraid that, despite the fact that he PREFERS chicken or steak, it simply isn't happening. If he chooses to NOT eat the beans, fine -- but he's not filling up on the other parts of the meal, and he's not having a special meal made exclusively for him. Because of this, I try to make sure that we have roast or fried chicken (his favorite) at least twice a month -- which we all enjoy -- but I don't stop making bean dishes regularly because of it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Our four boys will eat almost anything and they have even been seen gnawing on the kitchen sink! But, our friends have an adopted son who lives basically on french fries, plain pizza, and toast. I have watched him for them and he asks for toast several times over four or five hours and nothing more. He will occasionally eat oatmeal cookies, my DW got him started on that. However, he is a very healthy kid and despite him moms crack addiction he is overcoming his problems even on his limited diet. We once met another homeschooling family at Sandy Cove in MD and they put out dinner for their family. If someone didn't want to eat what was presented, their other choice was to make a PB & J or skip the meal. Their entire family look plenty healthy. Kids go through some weird phases but they seem to come out fine.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
No Way! My kids eat what I fix or go with out. I don't force them to eat.

Let me tell you about my nephew. He gets what he wants. He eats tyson southern style chicken nuggets, KFC, bread sticks, some sugar cereals. Nothing else. I'm not kidding! I finally got to the points where I would find reasons not to watch them. His brother will eat anything I make him. If it is something he has never had he tries it. His brother won't even try it. He may pretend he does but he doesn't.

You do NOT want to give in to him. Make him eat it or do without. He won't starve and ppl won't hide from you when you ask them to watch your kid over a meal time.

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
My daughter ate little else beside spaghettios her entire senior year. I got so tired of battling with her.

She's now married and has a child of her own. I think she's a pretty good cook now, actually.

She once called me from Japan, wanting to know how to make GRAVY. What a hoot!

My son, on the other hand, would eat anything put in front of him. Never has been picky at all. Ahhhh.

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
i was the dogs best friend growing up, anything i could sneak off my plate they got! picky and not prone to eating junk food either. started eating more when i started cooking (mom is and always was a good cook!) some of the family meal (7-8 years old). my kids have never been that picky, they are involed in the meal prep and planning as well.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Our rule here is, you try everything once. After that, you need to try it after a year or so.

That has brought us to the point where my oldest has 2 things he wont eat, and the youngest one thing.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
my kids also help prepare dinner, my youngest usually cooks the veggies, and my oldest can cook anything. But letting them help in the food prep does help with them eating. They WANT to try what they cooked. It starts there, then you can suggest different things here and there that THEY cook, soon enough theyll want to cook things with out you suggesting it and theyll eat it.
my youngest sons friends come to stay alot, they are picky, but when they were allowed to help with dinner theyre eating habits changed. One cooks fried squash for his family now(hes 11), and the other likes to make stuffed bell peppers. (12),

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
I'm the bad mom. I do make my son special meals. I feel so guilty if he doesn't eat "real food". We have snacks in the house and I try to limit them but he is sneaky. Can't take the snacks and candy out of the house because DH has a fit when we don't have any...I am tempted though to lock them up somehow! He's really learned to manipulate me. He'll whine that his stomach hurts...he's gonna throw up...he has gone for so long without eating much but nibbles that when he feels hungry I honestly think sometimes he has forgotten that that achy feeling is actually hunger and not an illness! We are trying very hard to expand the list of foods he will eat and he is getting better.

But yes, I make special meals. I make him corn on the cob year-round just for him because it's the only veggie he will eat and I can't stand the idea of him not eating a veggie with dinner. If we have spaghetti he won't eat sauce so I have to make him a special plate with cheese on it instead. If it's a stir-fry or casserole I have to give him the meat and rice/pasta/etc. separate. If it's something I can't separate or make into something he'll eat, I'll make him a grilled cheese instead.

He's healthy, a bit thin, a little short for his age (9)...meals are a horrible ordeal sometimes because he won't sit down like a normal person for them, is always half out of his chair and if we're not watching him like a hawk he'll take off and have to be reminded to sit down and finish eating...he's like, oh, I forgot what I was doing!

I'd like to say, though, they do behave great in restaurants and at other people's houses, both of them. They're great kids, but sometimes I shake my head and wonder where I went wrong. Being too nice, I guess. :(

·
This is my life
3,923 Posts
I had a son who decided to become a vegatarian after we killed the first set of chickens LOL I never made a seperate meal for him but if the main dish was a meat like meatloaf or steak he got a piece of cheese or boiled eggs.
I always made sure that there was 2 veg on the table and a starch.
Now that he is on his own he lives on fast food and junk, tells me some days he eats nothing but a banana all day what is a mom to do ?
You can only do what you can do and give them the best start. by making sure they eat good food young you make sure they at last know what a good diet should be.

Grandmother bear..
I agree, I believe my son did have a problem with this when he was young, at one time I paid him per pound that he gained each time we went to the doctor.

G

·
I do not cook special foods for the kids.

That said I do try to cook foods that I think they'd like IF THEY'D JUST TASTE THEM BEFORE THEY MADE UP THEIR MINDS THEY DIDN'T LIKE THEM!!! Ahem... Yes, as I was saying I don't cook special foods for the kids.

We do have the "honest mouthfull" rule that if I've never served it before you must eat one honest mouthfull and if you don't like it you don't have to eat any more of it. We also have the bread and butter option that if you don't like what's on the table you can have bread (I make our bread) and butter. Not jelly, not peanut butter, just butter.

Desserts are a treat not a right so if you don't eat your supper you can't have dessert. We don't have dessert everynight, but a few times a week and they are virtually always homemade.

.....Alan.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
No special menus here. They eat what they are given or they don't eat. I don't battle over it. If they don't want it they don't have to eat it but there is nothing else till the next meal. So if you don't eat your dinner, you'll be out of luck until breakfast.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Tracy Rimmer said:
Children in this house eat what is put in front of them, or not -- but they do *NOT* get a substitute meal, and they SIT at the table while the rest of the family eats, and they are NOT excused until everyone is done.

If they choose to not eat, that is their business, but there is NOTHING until the next meal.
What she said

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Don't know if anyone will find this useful, but my mom's policy was that my sister and I could each choose ONE meal that we seriously hated, and on nights when that was on the menu, we could fix something different for ourselves. Not have HER prepare something different, mind you - WE had to do it (and did, gladly).

We were permitted to not eat something if we hated it (to this day, I still pick the cheese off of anything before I will eat it), but what was on the table was it. If we didn't like it, lumping it was always an option.

Every so often, you hear of a horrible parent or foster parent who deliberately starves their children, but I have never heard of a child accidentally starving to death.

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
Many years ago, I had a very thin son who was an incredibly picky eater. Every meal was a battle because he wouldn't eat what I made.

One day, I got completely fed up and told him that I really didn't care if he EVER ate another bite of food again. I said that he had to eat what was put before him or starve until the next meal.

I put his plate in front of him and never said a word. I never even looked at his plate and he got no attention by not eating. If he didn't eat, I excused him from the table and he had to go to his room.

It took about two or three days and he was shoveling the food into his face like there was no tomorrow.

My friend, it is just an attention-getting behavior, so don't play into it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.