Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning and this morning, I noticed that my LGD was trying to mate with my Nubian and my Saanen! :shrug: Has he lost his ever-lovin' mind????
The girls didnt have trouble walking away from him, but they both would go and pee right in front of him! (hussies!) Glad I decided to keep him on a chain in the pen till he learned the babies weren't chew toys... now we have to learn the girls aren't his mates!
I figured perhaps the girls are needing some quiet time with my buck Mr. Travaler, so I let him in with them today, so maybe it wont happen again.

Is this typical LGD behavior??? Will he outgrow it??? (he is about 20 mo old)

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Humping behavior in dogs is not merely a mating behavior but a dominance behavior. It could be that he felt the goats were one-upping him and needed to be put in their place.

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew dogs did that to each other, but he was smelling and everything,,, :rolleyes: so I figured it was for *other* reasons

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
You know it makes sense, he's not around other dogs (I presume) and his constant companions are the goats . . . so . . .?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've had a little dog do that to cats. And it was a female dog. Just a dominance thing. It's only really bad when they start doing it to you, your status is being challenged.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes my LGD did that also last winter. He was coming on a year old and the goat of interest was very much in heat, but I didn't want her bred so she was without a buck. She was as interested in him as he was in her and she stood very nicely while he tried to get the job done! I don't think it is uncommon with these livestock dogs.

Last year we had a younger mare who we kept in a pasture with a large bottle calf. The calf would suck the mare's flank daily and when she would come into heat she would stand for him as he would jump on her :rolleyes:

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Idahoe, he really isnt around other dogs much, we have a 8 mo old male LGD to be that is with him on occasion, but they just play fight.
Mayloc, I am glad to know my dog isnt nuts,or alone! lol! I guess if there is a heat the pair available will do what they can, huh???
Since I am wanting my girls bred, I went ahead and put the buck with them yesterday. Today my LGD has no interest in the girls at all, other than laying around and watching them browse.

·
Registered
187 Posts
hmm... i have a girl LGD so i'm hoping i don't have that problem, however i am having the puppy thinking the babies are chew toys but they are leaarning how to deal with her... with my help and the water hose.. :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts