Homesteading Forum banner

I Think My Goat Has Arthritis

967 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Mountaineer 
#1 ·
My billy goat is only 2 years old, and i dont know whats wrong with him. he will be fine one minute, but the next his legs stiffen up and he lays on his side and kicks hard and tries to get up but he cant. it breaks my heart to see him so helpless. he still eats and drinks his water. does anybody know what this is? if so, what can i do for him? if anybody is knowledgable about this, my email is: fuzebox67@yahoo.com. any info will help!

#4 ·
Are his knees swollen? How is his condition, is he well fleshed or thin? I could be many many other things causing this than CAE, don't panic just yet. He may be developing a metobolic disorder from his feed or may even be suffering a simple virus or infection of some sort. What does he eat? Access to minerals? Eyes clear? Temp? Runny nose? Ear infection?

#6 ·
I would have him tested for cae before putting him down. I guess I don't understand why cae would cause these symptoms.

What about meningeal worm? Does that cause a loss of balance. Or as Doc suggested an inner ear infection causing a loss of equilibrium?

#11 ·
hes not myotonic. he isnt thinning out and his eyes are in good shape. he breathes normally and has a good appetite, he drank some water today. other than the fact he is laying on his side, hes acting himself. he doesnt moan or complain either. he isnt even bloated. i cant understand what it is that is happening to him. he was never like this before. although hes only 2 years old, i do think he has reumatoid arthritis. we are going to see the vet this saturday, so i will mention him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.