Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this calf thing and need help or advice I got a bull jersey calf and his stomach hangs way low and he is only a month old he is constantly mowing on like I tried to stop I stopped giving him grain I stopped giving him anything I kept water in his pen he keeps eating and trying to munch on the straw he's laying on and I don't know what kind of a bloat it is I just know it's a bloat cuz it's so it's belly just so tight and I'm not sure where I went wrong I have an old barn it's breezy so letting him go outside when it's like 28 below cold weather and it took me a little while to get a jacket for him so I kept him inside with the heat lamp so and reading where it says they obviously need exercise like anybody or any other living thing to be able to digest his food wellI only plan on keeping them in there until I was going to get a jacket so he could go outside and and have exercise and graze around but then a family emergency came up and I didn't get to feed him his bottle on the exact time a couple nights my dad had to go to the hospital and had to go with him and they wouldn't let us out of the hospital for anything I kept telling them that I have a baby calf at home I need to get feeding they wouldn't let me go so now he got his times all off I don't know if it's from stress from different time feeding or what or so I don't know whether or not I need to do like I heard baking soda and water I don't know if he needs a tube down the throat like I've read I read that's bad also and I've read a needle is bad for stabbing in his belly I just I'm I don't want to make the wrong move in hurt him more

·
Registered
122 Posts
Load him up and take him to a large animal vet. The advice they give will be money well spent.

It could be too cold, bloated, lonely, or stress but likely a combination of the above. Are you mixing the milk properly or watering it down to save money. Bloat usually only happens from fresh lush pasture. People who are not from farming background sometimes need to do more research before deciding they want large animals.
Good Luck

·
Registered
11,044 Posts
The anxiety and stress coming from your post sure isn't helping the poor calf. Calm down, call a large animal/farm vet. Call or go to someone who has cows and ask them to come look at your calf. And for heaven's sale don't try to tube feed him or give him a shot!

·
Retired Coastie
5,096 Posts
Many years ago I had calf bloat only once here on the farm and here's what I did. Fill a long hose or tube with a quart of mineral oil and stick it down the cow’s throat and into the rumen, which is the first of the calf's four stomachs, located on the left side of the calf‘s body. Do not just allow the calf to swallow the mineral oil down the throat, because if the cow inhales the oil into its windpipe, it could cause aspiration in the lungs or pneumonia. Walk the calf around a pasture until it shows signs of easily breathing again. If the calf does not show signs of recovery after 15 minutes, take a break of five to 10 minutes and then repeat the exercise. Continue to do this until symptoms are relieved, or consult with a veterinarian if symptoms do not improve. Lastly massage the stomach and listen for belches of stomach gasses. Good luck, Topside

·
Retired Coastie
5,096 Posts
If you try what I recommended adjust the amount of mineral oil or caster oil based on the calf's size and breed. As a reminder massage the animals left side vigorously. I'd tend to believe your calf swallowed something that's the cause of discomfort. Whenever it's economically possible consult a vet, but I'll add eventually you need to learn on your own or stop raising livestock. Topside

·
Registered
11,044 Posts
I agree with Topside as to what to do for bloat. BUT you stated don't know for sure that's what it is. You stated you are "new to this calf thing", so please, do NOT doctor that calf yourself! You have no idea what you're doing when shoving a tube down his throat.

Reactions: G. Seddon
1 - 10 of 10 Posts