I think I'm going to have a heart attack - my kids liked their dinner!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by heather, Jan 11, 2007.

1. heather

heather Well-Known Member

It was getting quite discouraging around here - everything I made, I heard whining......complaining......they were denied dessert........sent to their rooms......they went to bed hungry, etc., etc.....

Finally, tonight I made chicken fingers - sliced the chicken breast - dipped them in balsamic vinegar, then coated in bread crumbs - baked for 35 min. at 350 degrees
    Unfroze the mini peas & cooked with butter -

My 5 yr old said "I can't believe this - this is so delicious - it's like a feast!"

Who knows what goes through their little brains - I'm just glad they're eating!

2. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Do I understand correctly that a male of the species at peas and enjoyed them? No... it can't be true...

3. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

If they are anything like mine at that age, loving them tonight doesn't necessarily mean they'll love them next week. LOL

4. LMonty

LMonty Well-Known Member

LOL, isnt that the truth!

early on, I adopted, out of exasperation, a saying they can still repeat to this day "you dont have to like it, you just have to eat it!". Many a night they parroted that saying together- just before actually wolfing down whatever they were grumbling about....Sticking to it early helped, theyve never been very picky eaters once we got past that stage- I think its because I never really gave in, even when it would have been easier. I guess I learned that because its how I was raised. Of course, if theres a particular thing they really dont tolerate or cant stand, I dont force it.

Or learn to make it palatable. A little creativity goes a long way....Liver is a great example- I used to soak it in milk, rinse and then fry, and as it was getting finished, wipe out the pan, then put it back in with a little barbque sauce, and simmer to carmelize. Then I served it on burger buns, topped with sauteed onions, or when we were rich, :) those french fried canned onions that kids love. They ate Mom's "Hepatic Hamburgers" for years before they ever figured out they were eating liver :) Semantics matter ;)