I think I'm going insane

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by 65284, Nov 2, 2005.

1. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

I must be. One of my Dexter cows is making a lot more milk than her little heifer can drink so I have been milking her out. For over a half century I have HATED milking. But now I find myself kind of enjoying it. Won't somebody please help me? Oh well maybe it's just temporary and I'll come to my senses and get over it. But until I do the dogs and cats are sure enjoying the warm milk.

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Help you?! Heck, I'll come join you.

I remember growing up, I hated the farm. Wanted nothing to do with the farm. Wouldn't even think about an agriculture-related career. Fast forward 20 years and here I am owning an apple farm, getting final permits so I can sell hard cider and make it profitable (I hope!), with ducks, chickens, goats, and sheep. And thinking seriously about cows. A very small part of me wonders what happened to that girl with the makeup and fashionable clothes...

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

As to the going insane part, nothing to do with milking a cow, but after yesterday dealing with DMV and having to go back today, I'm about ready for the nuthouse..... GRRRRR....

4. Maggie

Maggie Well-Known Member Supporter

Hermit John: After 1/2 a day in the city I feel the same way!!! Maggie :viking:

5. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Well since you are enjoying milking a cow now why not get another one?? :happy:

6. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Iwould assume the more you milk the Mom, the more milk she will produce. At least that's the way it is with us human animals...... Anyone??

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Self medicate for insanity......coffee brandy and your cow's milk on ice until your feeling happy and relaxed :nana:

8. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

Yep Jen, I swore up and down and left and right that I would never move back to my origin of a country boy who swam in a creek and suffered cold winters,shoveled the stuff, and baled hay for 1.50 an hour for any neighboring farmer. What happens to us along the way? Do we really go back from where we came from? I did. But when winter comes I do dream of the sandy warm beaches and the laziness of the locals. Lucky Bast**rds they are at times. No money and no worries, food is shared and happiness is abound. Remind me of a bunch of teenagers...............

9. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Well Crashy, I already have bovine crashy-itis. There are 25 Dexters here, 16 cows and 9 assorted bulls, steers, and calves. Don't need no more.

10. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

the white elixer is the most addictive substance known to man, it comes in many forms...brick cottaged and even yo"d......you can never go back

11. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

MMmmmm. Milk. It's been years since I've had a big tall ice-cold glass of milk. I'm the biggest dairy lover around. I should have been a cheesehead at birth. Alas, I can no longer tolerate the stuff. My body suffers the most evil of food intolerances, lactose intolerance. Even cheese is getting rough on my system. (insert tearful smily here) I would love to milk a cow, and make cheese. Can you send me some? I can't eat much of it, but I can still make it. :rolleyes: