Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or at least, I am VERY anemic!

The mosquitoes in the garden are HORRENDOUS! We've had a bit of rain the past couple of weeks, but this is crazy!

Nick and I are very conscientious about making sure there are no nesting areas for mosquitoes, but they are a virtual CLOUD over my tomato beds! It reminds me of the old Off! commercials, where the guy sticks his arm into an aquarium full of the little bloodsuckers. <shiver>

Any ideas on how to deal with this? It's not like I can tear out my tomatoes; they've only just started to really ripen, and I've got a LOT of them.

TIA,
Pony! <scratching and scritching>

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
If it's that bad, I'd use OFF! spray :(
We used it when camping in the everglades in summer.
Not our wisest vacation move.

I've read that Tansy is a mosquito repellent but I've never tried it.

·
Premium Member
23,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
turtlehead said:
If it's that bad, I'd use OFF! spray :(
We used it when camping in the everglades in summer.
Not our wisest vacation move.

I've read that Tansy is a mosquito repellent but I've never tried it.
I'm not all that sensitive to too many things, but maybe I'm part bug or something, because insect repellents tend to nauseate me (Whine, whine, whine... :rolleyes:)

Don't have any tansy plants. I killed them off when they were yet seedlings. Still have a packet of seeds, though... Rub the seeds on my body? Plant them in with the tomatoes and hope that they're Jack and the Beanstalk style? ;)

Pony!

·
Registered
2 Posts
How about setting up tiki torches around your garden, fill them with citronella. Light them up 5-10 minutes before you go to work in your garden. Works pretty good on GA mosquitoes.

·
Turkey Wrangler
5,193 Posts
Pony said:
I'm not all that sensitive to too many things, but maybe I'm part bug or something, because insect repellents tend to nauseate me (Whine, whine, whine... :rolleyes:)

Don't have any tansy plants. I killed them off when they were yet seedlings. Still have a packet of seeds, though... Rub the seeds on my body? Plant them in with the tomatoes and hope that they're Jack and the Beanstalk style? ;)

Pony!
I found a really good citronella based rub on lotion repellent at the local job lot store- it works like a charm. Only bad thing is you have to wash your hands really well, if it get in you mouth or eyes, it tastes bad and stings.

·
Premium Member
7,295 Posts
google gaiam solar mosquito - I have a dozen for family and friends' use. Seems to help me with less of them than you are reporting.

·
In Memoriam
14,801 Posts
We've got some king-size black monsters at the garden complex. Nothing at all like the "gentle" little gals at home which are barely a minor nuisance. The big ones hurt just colliding with a person! My choice for them is Repel rather than Off. More effective, lasts longer, and doesn't bother me in any way like Off does, and smells a lot nicer. Look for Repel in the sporting goods section of Wal*Mart and other big stores. Advantage is that it is also effective against ticks and we have them around the gardens this year as well.

Martin

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Wish I had skeeters. It would mean that we had rain this summer. In other words count your blessings!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.