I think I will be a new mom today!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ajharris, May 23, 2006.

1. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

I bought a nubian on Saturday. The guy I bought her from says she is due any day. She has lost her ligs and has mucus dripping! :) I am on pins and needles. My Saanen is due any day also. Do I need to seperate them or leave them together? I am new at this. I have had a pigmy weather and doe before but not any that was preggo. Any advise would be appreciated

Amanda

2. happyladybug

happyladybug Well-Known Member

have you been able to tell which is higher on the heirarchy?? i have two pygmys that i just bought and when the one went into labor sunday night.. the other (who is higher up) was head butting her when she laid down to
    deliver.. i ended up separating them.. as i didn't know what she would do when the delivery was done.. i didn't want anybody hurt...

both mine are first freshners - so both were new to delivering and i assume
    didn't know what was going on..

janis

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, separate them by all means. Since they are new to each other, and different breeds as well, I would not chance leaving them together to kid this time.
    mary

4. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I always seperate mine. I NEVER let them kid with other goats around. That is if I can help it. I believe it is best if they don't have to worry about the other goats. They need to just think and deal with their babies. Keep us posted.

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Congrats!

I would separate them even if they were not pregnant because you need to quaranteen every new goat you bring to your farm. You would hate for the Nubian to contaminate your Saanen and her kids with something they have no immunity too. Who knows what that Nubian has, even though you may trust the previous owner, niot worth the chance. Also, the new doe may have a variety of worms not already in your goats pen/feces.

Then you have the issue of the does deciding who's boss. A new pecking order needs to be establihed and during late pregnany is NOT a good time. Goats ram each other HARD and that would not be a good thing now.

Separate them. Monitor the new goat and worm her with an appropriate wormer. I would find out her CAE/CL status etc.

How big are your pens? Do you have an appropraite place for the new doe to kid and be with her babies while you monitor her? I am just asking you these questions because that is what I would do if i had another goat of my own that I loved and cared about and didn't want to catch anything.....Diane

6. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

Okay guys, heres the deal. The only place I can put Freckles is in a 6x6 pen. Is this big enough? Milky(my saanen) will not be to happy with this since this is her house or so she thinks. What would yall do?

Freckles is laying down bleeting. Until yesterday she wouldnt let me touch her and now all she wants is for me to be by her side.

Amanda

7. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Okay, so your situation is one large pen and one 6 X 6 barn? The pen and the barn used to be just for the Saanen? Right? Now you would have to put the Saanen out of her barn, just into the pen (how big of a pen, no shelter?) and the new Nubian into the barn with no pen? If this is the case, i would probably just put them into together and hope for the best.

If you have no other choice. You don't want to stress your first goat out so much that she has problems. Although it is not the perfect solution, sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Are these your only two goats?

8. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

Yes these are my only 2 goats. I have them over at my moms(we are living there while we are building a house across the road) I do have a barn over at my house that is not finnished. I have so many projects going I dont know what to finish first!LOL Hopefully both girls will behave their selves and play nice.

9. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

Freckles mucus has gone from white to a brownish red color. Is this normal? If not what should I do????

Amanda

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Yes, it is normal. Don't need to DO anything.

11. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

The only thing you need to do is get a cup of coffe or water (or whatever) and set back and relax, and wait to become a mom or Grandma. I would get towels ready incase you need to help dry the little one(s) off, have your iodine ready to dip the navel on, and some Molasses water ready for mom. I offer mine the molasses water while they are in labor. Most the time they drink it but not always. I also take a piece of dental floss and tie it around the (navel cord) to keep anything from getting up inside it. I also give my babies Nutra drench when they are born. Good luck, we are waiting to hear the news.

12. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

The first thing you do when those babies come out is take a towel and roughly clean out that mouth and nose as they are trying to gulp for air, even before you get them out of the gooey birth sack. You don't want them to inhale any fluid as they try to breathe. Then dry them off roughly to stimulate them. goats can kid on their own and do just fine, but if you are there,, that's what you can do to help them get started well.

13. cjb

cjb Well-Known Member Supporter

14. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

I am playing the waiting game. I dont like it much. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

15. cjb

cjb Well-Known Member Supporter

i'm with you! I hate it.

16. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

ohh ohh any word???

17. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

Nothing yet. I guess It will happen when she is ready.

18. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

when you are sleeping

19. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

Well... How was your night? Any babies yet?

20. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

none yet but waiting