Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally convinced dad to let me buy a horse last month!! Well, August 15th to be exact. I've gone out and looked at a couple different horses, but none of them have been 'the one'. Dad was starting to make fun of me for not finding one yet, but I was out at the rescue 2 weeks ago, and I found my horse.
He is the cutest boy ever!!
She rescued him for an auction and brought him home Sunday night. I went out on Wednesday and met him for the first time. She's sent me pics and I knew he was cute, but that was it.
She got 3 horses from that auction and we were going to go up and vaccinate them. When we got there, one of the horses had broken a leg and we had to call the vet. So that wasn't fun.
But I got to take the one boy that I love and I brought him down to the arena and worked with him for a bit. He did so well!! I was so impressed! Everything I asked of him, he did! And he caught onto it all sooo quickly!
Of course, we needed a name for him since he didn't have one, and eventually I came up with the name Chance. So that his his name now.
The next week I went out again, and she rode Chance while we went out on a trail ride! I didn't get to ride him because she doesn't want me getting hurt, but she thinks he might just be the perfect horse for me! We're gonna keep working with him, and see how he turns out. I'm sure he'll be awesome.
His feet got trimmed last week and there aren't any problems there.
We vaccinated/dewormed so he's good there.
The next thing his Wolfe teeth extraction. I'm so lucky tho! I get to go out on Friday and be there for the extraction!! I'm so excited for it. I love him so much. I'm so glad I can be there for it.
She's gonna keep working with him but hopefully I can adopt him soon. He is just perfect in every imaginable way.
He is 8 years old, white (i swore i wouldn't get a white horse....but i just know that he's the one, so i'll make an exception lol), except for one ear, and a patch around his one eye. They are brown.
He's so amazing. Very in-your-pocket type personality. Super friendly and curious. I can't wait to adopt him and let dad meet him!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!
And a SAVED rescue!
My horse is a rescue. He's 1 of 12 literally being starved to death. On a farm close by.
He's a Great horse! But always wants to eat. Imagine that!
He likes to sway back & forth. So his name is Dancer.
Please send a picture of yours when you can.
Here's my Dancer!

·
STILL not Alice
20,908 Posts
@AbbySmith, you know the rule: Pics or it didn't happen!

Seriously, though, I am pleased for you, and found myself feeling so excited just reading about your joy. <3

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
@AbbySmith, you know the rule: Pics or it didn't happen!

Seriously, though, I am pleased for you, and found myself feeling so excited just reading about your joy. <3
DITTO!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am so excited for you!! I can't wait to see pictures and hear how you two are getting along. The best way to get familiar with each other will be ground work. It will tell you a lot about how much he knows, if there are things he is spooky around, and it will greatly increase your bond as you earn his trust.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@TerryR oh my gosh Dancer is beautiful! He looks amazing! I'm so glad he found his forever home with you!

@Pony Lol! I'll see if I have some of him. He's beautiful!

@SustainableAg Yes yes yes yes yes! I agree. Groundwork is so important. That's all we did the first day and he did amazing! I was so impressed with him. Took him a while to figure out lunging, but once he did, he was excellent! And he's so good at liberty too. He just wants to always be with you! I was leading him around the arena letting him get used to barrels/poles that were still set up in there, and he was getting so good that I started working on stopping him. Like, he totally read me, and payed so much attention to me. We would walk and then I would say 'woah' and stop. And then he would stop! And if he stopped his shoulder in front of me, I would take the lead and get him to back up 3 steps. And by the end of it, he knew that! If he stopped in front of me, he would back himself up! It was so cute. I love him! I just threw the lead up on his back and walked around for a bit, and he totally followed me! I was so impressed!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aww, thank you! I really hope everything works out! I'm so excited to go out and see him again tomorrow! Gonna be so cool to watch the Wolfe teeth extraction!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
It sounds like you had a great meet-up. First impressions are important for him too. Now he knows that if he steps out of line he will be corrected. It is so important that horses know what our boundaries are, so we can have a respectful relationship with them. That is how you keep yourself safe. He seems like a great find! And, he is gorgeous 😍

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went out today and saw Chancey again. Got to hold him for the vet as his teeth were floated and got to watch the Wolfe teeth extraction. It was so cool! I even got to keep his teeth so they're sitting in bleach getting cleaned up right now.

·
Premium Member
28,221 Posts
Peroxide is what is usually used for bleaching bones. Not drug store peroxide but really strong peroxide like what is used by hair dressers. This is a cool article about cleaning and "bleaching" bones.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes and no I guess. I will still be riding at the animal rescue, so she will be helping me get better at my riding. But she isn't gonna see me with Chance at all. And I'm the only one that rides in my family. Some of my siblings want to ride though, so I may end up teaching them kind of. Dad used to ride when he was in his teens. I'm not sure how much he still remembers though. I've honestly never seen him ride before!
And I will definitely be buying a helmet, mum won't let me ride without one.

·
Administrator
20,324 Posts
Yes and no I guess. I will still be riding at the animal rescue, so she will be helping me get better at my riding. But she isn't gonna see me with Chance at all. And I'm the only one that rides in my family. Some of my siblings want to ride though, so I may end up teaching them kind of. Dad used to ride when he was in his teens. I'm not sure how much he still remembers though. I've honestly never seen him ride before!
And I will definitely be buying a helmet, mum won't let me ride without one.
You should find a riding buddy or a mentor or you run a significant risk or teaching your horse bad habits that can cause a lot of problems.

Nothing puts somebody off riding quicker than fighting with a spoiled horse or a significant injury from a spoiled horse.

·
STILL not Alice
20,908 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You should find a riding buddy or a mentor or you run a significant risk or teaching your horse bad habits that can cause a lot of problems.

Nothing puts somebody off riding quicker than fighting with a spoiled horse or a significant injury from a spoiled horse.
I would love to have a riding buddy!! That would be so amazing but there is literally no one around. I have no friends. And my family doesn't ride. Even if they did, they aren't interested in paying for anther horse. Dad might end up buying one but he'll only be riding maybe once a week. I'll be riding alone most of them on our property unless I haul Chance an hour to the other side of town and ride with the lady at the rescue. So we'll see. Unless I somehow meet another teen with a horse that loves to ride, I'll be riding by myself :/

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay! So she got back to me on a price. She wants almost double what I was hoping to pay. I talked to dad last night though and he seemed ok with it. So I texted her back this morning and said I could get him, when is her ready to be picked up?
And she said as soon as I want!!
So I need to talk to dad when I get home cuz hopefully I can go out tomorrow and pick him up!!!! 🤞🤞🤞
I gotta convince dad that I can pay him back. I only have enough for half of him 😐
But we just bought a new Reno house and when I first told him how much she was asking he said "oh. Well I guess I have a slave at the Reno house"
So...I took that as yes lol. I'll be able to pay him back literally by the end of the year. At the very latest. I'm applying for a second job today so we'll see.
I really really really hope I can get him! He's such a good good boy 💕

1 - 20 of 21 Posts