Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1979 I bought my 30 inch long single tray steel toolbox because I had outgrown the plastic benchmark tool box my father gave me a few years earlier.

I sure don't recall any of the 9 boxes and two small roller cabinets I now have 35 years later , so tool boxes and hand tools must breed like rabbits :)

Tonight while looking for a drill bit I found myself sorting through ratchet sets, wrenches, rasps, files, hammers , mallets and of course none of the 5 drill bit boxes I came across had a bit even close to the size I needed.

While digging through my 9 box collection I remembered buying a few tools for contract work jobs I had done while at the same time jokingly thinking those tools breed like rabbits.

After two hours of futilely searching for the drill bit I gave up ,grabbed one of my parts and tools catalogs with 24/7 order line and called in and ordered a 300 titanium all purpose drill bit assortment case for $40 that will arrive here in five to seven business days and put a note on the case of my PC monitor reminding me to finish doing the project I had been working on when I broke the dull bit I was using.

Maybe hand tools don't breed like rabbits after all but it sure is nice having a house full of them :)

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Shrek; get a Drill Doctor; for just a few bucks you can use a bit until it is too short to go thru the materiel you are drilling.

Yes, hand tools to breed. That single-tray red steel tool box that once rode in the trunk of my auto (because I sometimes had to make roadside repairs) now lives in the barn. The roller-box lower cabinet is loaded with air wrenches, grinders, cut-off wheels, the skil, all in a pile that must be sorted thru to find the tool needed. Tools in the barn, in the fencing buckets, in the tractor tool box, and a kitchen drawer. The Sawsall sits on the garage floor in its case, the Drill Doctor is in a closet with my archery stuff.

All of this (and your story) reminds me of Hipshot's foot locker full of guns.
Ox

PS: Don't even mention the yard and garden tools.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
As if i needed anymore tools, i recently moved the contents of dads garage into my tool shop!! It was/is sooo bad I had to rent space for a few months to store the boat so i can reorganize and make the shop usable again!

Rabbits on fertility meds. and steroids, and hormones, and growth vitamins, and anything else that makes em multiply. Honestly, very much like the episode of Star Trek and the "Tribbles"!!!! I got tool Tribbles ! LOLOL

I have to agree that it is very reassuring to know i have the tools, skills, and drive to fix/work/weld/fabricate virtually anything except electronics!!! Now if i can just remember which drawer the screwdrivers are in.......

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
For me it seems to be things with tires! Looking around the other day, I realize I need to place a lot of craigslist ads! 4 trailers! How did I end up with 4 trailers? I have far more toys than I could ever ride too. Seems like I am constantly having to put something on a battery charger.

Something else that reproduces far faster than you might imagine is fabric, yarn and fiber stash's!

·
Premium Member
25,228 Posts
Jay Chuck can tell you about my tool shed. LOL. My bolts I have separated in size from anything 1/2 and bigger dia separated from the larger bolts that are still uin the tool box all of them were in at one time. NOW, since I use way more smaller bolts than larger ones, I have a pile on my table top by the bolt box, and the only ones I can see to use, are the ones on top. I don't want to go digging around, as the pile runs to the edge of my table, and they would fall amongst the collection of come alongs, and break overs.
I could, no doubt round up a 1/2 doz hoes of different styles, at least 4 rakes, and likely 9 schovels, not counting scoop, of which I probably have 5. 4 crowbars, 8 hammers, a doz screw drivers, 3 vice grips, and on and on.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I semi have my wife convinced it's cheaper to buy tools then pay for shop time, and she can find more tool bargains then I can. :)

There's a top chest on the truck for every day using tools, some of which I've had since I was a teen. There is a snap on cabinet, middle, and top chest that belonged to a good friend with some of his tools in it, my boy has most of his tools and just rebuilt the friends '90 silverado with them for his daily driver. There are two more cabinets and top chests that belong to the boys as well as a
cabinet and chest that is mine. That don't even count the power tools and other stuff kicking around what is scattered.

I can think of a couple of things I still need.:happy:

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Men and tools, Women and shoes.... could be the title of a best selling book ! LOL
Hey now! I have a LOT of tools! Probably just as many as most of y'all on here and probably more than most. I'm considering getting another 40 ft shipping container so that I will actually have enough room to spread them all out and use them :rolleyes:

I own 2 pairs of sandals and a pair of tenny shoes. Seems like there is a pair of motorcycle boots in a box in storage somewhere. I will admit that I had 3 pairs of sandals but one pair came apart this week.

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
Yes! Likely, there is a genetic relation. It may be that it's not a simple thing, though. Probably something that's normally overlooked. Possibly, tool procreation needs fertilization or pollination by post it notes or lists. There's got to be something that explains the sudden appearance of that many tools one doesn't remember buying. I know they don't show up because of sitting on a dirty toilet seat. At least I don't think so.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
"some of which I've had since I was a teen."

Allen; One day in 1953 my first sweetheart was driving in Austin, Texas and at a stoplight she saw a pair of pliers lying in the street. She hopped out and picked them up and brought them to me. A pair of Klein electricians pliers. I used them for over fifty years, carefully because of the memories. About five years ago I found her grandson and gave the pliers to him---they are good for another fifty years.

And this morning I sold my log splitter. I feel as if I just sold one of my kids---that was a favorite of mine.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
"some of which I've had since I was a teen."

Allen; One day in 1953 my first sweetheart was driving in Austin, Texas and at a stoplight she saw a pair of pliers lying in the street. She hopped out and picked them up and brought them to me. A pair of Klein electricians pliers. I used them for over fifty years, carefully because of the memories. About five years ago I found her grandson and gave the pliers to him---they are good for another fifty years.

And this morning I sold my log splitter. I feel as if I just sold one of my kids---that was a favorite of mine.
Klein makes good tools

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
I've gotten some good tools off of parking lots and alongside and ON the freeways...probably what mostly accounts for the seven hammers (but about 13-14 overall) and four hatchets in the garage. We won't go into the screwdrivers.

Mon

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Log Chains: When I came out here I bought one heavy chain and a 5/16 chain at auction for $15 each. Since then I've accumulated four more quarter inch hi-test chains that I use more than the heavier ones.

Not long ago my son in law and grandsons helped me clean the barn. when done I could not find my chains, and none of the boys remembered even seeing them. I cussed and moaned and assumed that they'd been stolen, something thieves could carry.

Well; a week later I found them all in the bottom of a big feed tub the boys had wrestled into a corner.

·
Super Moderator
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ox,

Stealing log chains isn't always that easy. I caught a kid stealing one of my 30 foot chains about 15 years back and as he took to running out of my shed after I yelled at him, he wrapped some trailing length of it around his ankles as he made it to the road and took a header into the chain that was still in his hands.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Sometimes, as the old joke went, they steal more than they can carry.
I'd like to catch one of the thieves that have been here. The only thief I have ever caught in the act was trying to get off with a big GI leather brief bag that was crammed full of copies of govt. regulations--stuff I'd have given him if he asked. The bag was old but worth more than its contents. I happened to look out the office window and saw him taking the bag out of my auto.

I was only in my thirties, so I took off after the guy. He heard me running after him, took about four jumps, looked back and saw how fast I was gaining on him and dropped the bag. I'll swear it skidded six feet. I got to laughing so hard I just stopped the chase.

That was a long time ago; the Marine recruiter downstairs was killed in Vietnam, all the coworkers save two have gone on to paradise, the old sour orange tree in the parking lot is gone, the Electricians union office across the hall is no more. Bah, humbug.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts