Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She disappeared 2 days ago. Since I'd already sold the trailer and moved my stuff down to southern WI, I asked the neighbors to keep an eye open, just in case she went out on an extended hunt - but I don't think so. I'm going to miss my Dinah - took 7 years before she'd let me pet her, but after she reached that point, she was so loving. I HATE not knowing for sure.

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
I've lost a couple of cats to coyotes and I've also had cats, spayed females, be gone for close to a week. One got lost in the cornfield (went for a walk with 'her' dog and my husband and played the run into the rows once too often) and the other was hit by a car but did make it back (broken leg). Not sure how long she was hurt as it wasn't unusual for her to go on an extended outside hunt, she was a mostly maine coon cat. So I'm still holding out hope and yes it stinks when you don't know. I lost one on the road early last month but at least I know what happened to him.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
We had a couple outdoor strays we fed and loved disappear over the winter holidays. I miss Bob trying to get into the basket of wet clothes as I hang them on the line, and tawny Gary leaping out of the brush at me with what he deemed a mighty roar (rowr!) as I'd say "Oh no--it's a big, fierce lion!"

It's sad. About all you can hope is that it went quickly for them.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Oh, Madame, I'm so sorry. It happens a lot around here with the adventurous ones. Should you find yourself with a cat-sized emptiness in your heart, Amazing G just knows one of our kitties could fill that. If Dinah doesn't come home, and you're ready for another kitty, G would love to gift you one of our special kitties.

·
Premium Member
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Clover, but I do have 4 others. The 4th is brand new; a few years back I told my elderly cousin that I'd take the cat if she was ever unable to care for it. Well, cuz up and died (the audacity of the woman!) so I now have one more - the only cat I've ever had with a squeaky purr. :-D If I were catless, I'd take you up on it - can't imagine life without a few cats around!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
A year ago we lost a tiny 3 pound Chihuahua, to a hawk, we think. Your grown cat was probably a lot heavier, though.
A Mexican neighbor raised hawks to eat and one day they all escaped. On a daily basis they were after my chickens...it was a chore keeping them away.
My dog stayed behind on a walk to the garden....he was busy playing with a watermelon rind...and never followed me back to the house. 10 min later I realized he was missing. We searched the place for days and never found a trace of him. We think a hawk snatched him up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well unless she made herself at home with mary's 30+ cats, I have not seen any new cats around...sorry! Hope all is well here, things are well, always the same but new stuff, you can email me when you get a chance.

·
Furry Without A Clue
1,236 Posts
Hope you find your kitty. I recently found Rita, one who vanished several years ago...She was mummified, under the porch :Bawling:

·
Premium Member
19,980 Posts
We lost Zoey last June. I have no idea what happened to him. He loved to go on long walkabouts and I'm sure something got him.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
In the last few years, since we have lived here, I have had many cats just disappear. No sign of them anywhere. One was a mother with a litter of 3-week-old kittens. I've had cats all my life and have never had them just disappear like this. I always figured it was either coyotes or racoons.

I'm sorry for your loss.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
I thought I'd lost my cat to coyotes just before last Thanksgiving, but he showed up again on Jan. 8th. He was plump & healthy. I think he might have been holed up in the barn up in the straw or one of the other buildings. Anyway, I sure hope yours shows up again. Are the neighbors still watching for her?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Well, I guess the circle is complete. A pet cat out running loose rampaging its way through the local wildlife killing it with abandon gets eaten. The songbirds, small, mammals, game birds and other wildlife are probably appreciative of the coyote's efforts.

·
Premium Member
19,980 Posts
Quint said:
Well, I guess the circle is complete. A pet cat out running loose rampaging its way through the local wildlife killing it with abandon gets eaten. The songbirds, small, mammals, game birds and other wildlife are probably appreciative of the coyote's efforts.
Gosh Quint, that is so sweet of you to try and cheer people up with your nature lesson. :)

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Sorry you lost your kitty. Hopefully she will turn up.

Coyotes, is the main reason my cats stay inside.

Oh, and I do have a couple that go out some during the day. I don't recall loosing any birds because of the cats.

·
Premium Member
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is an old post; she never showed up. Since then I've taken in two strays, so while I still miss Dinah, I'm not catless.

Hey Carla, Mary's up to 30 cats?! Sheesh, and I thought 6 was a lot!

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
Pinkbat,

If your neighbor was in the USA, it's illegal to eat hawks. You can keep hawks only if you have a certain type of license.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts