I swear, I'm going to get a BB gun and start taking out the birds!!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mama2littleman, Jun 12, 2005.

1. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Am I the only one with a horrible bird problem? I have 25 tomato plants in pots, all of which are slowly but surely being decapitated and deleafed by the neighborhood birds.

At first, I thought it was leaf cutter ants or some kind of insect, and went nuts spraying the poor plants with insecticidal soap. But I caught the culprits in the act this afternoon. As I was looking out of the window into the backyard, there was a whole flock of birds just pecking at my poor mater plants. And to add insult to injury, they were using the edges of my containers as a nice little perches.

Arghh!!!! I just needed to vent.

Nikki

2. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I say go for it....try a pellet gun. I felt like doing that to these 2 Comet hens I've got, but now I just leave them in the hen house, they get so crazy because they can't go outside.

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

You could use a pellet gun. Or bird netting.

Meg

4. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

What are you going to do, sit there for 18 hours a day waiting for a bird to land on your plants and then fire and miss? Get a bird net, use your 18 hours saved to do something constructive.

5. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Doi the pots have stacks in them? If the do try running a string between them, and putting a small pot pie tied to them.

6. dragonfly65

dragonfly65 Well-Known Member

I second the bird netting. It's only about $5 at wal mart or Home Depot/Lowes. just cut out a square (not quite as easy as it sounds - do NOT wear a top with buttons on it, you will spend as much time untangling them from the bird netting as you will cuting the netting.) Then drape the netting over the plant (or cut a big suare and drape it over all of them).

7. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Yep, looks like I will have to go with the bird netting. DS likes the idea of the pie plates. Sort of like red-neck wind chimes.

But, I've got to tell you, the thought of taking pot shots at the birds is a much more satisfying notion. But I tend to be a bit vengeful. And, I would prefer not to incur the wrath of my new neighbors. Gotta love surburbia.

Manny, you're assuming a lot in thinking that I would miss. While I may not know much about pellet guns, I happen to be an expert marksman with an M-16 and a 9mm. Thoroughly and properly trained by the US Army back in the days of my misspent youth. I doubt the physics firing a weapon differ much between an actual weapon and a pellet gun.

Thanks for letting me vent and for the suggestions. I don't mind sharing my harvest, but these birds are being downright greedy!

Nikki

8. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Pellet guns don't make much more than a "pop", don't they? Do it when everyone is at work, thats when I get my loudest in the yard. Or, you could get a barky dog and tie him up near the garden, I got one of those who runs around barking at everything that moves.

Do the mesh, but you will not have the satisfaction as quickly..... ;)

9. mntspinner

mntspinner Member

Arghh!!!! I just needed to vent.

Nikki[/QUOTE]

Nikki,
    You can take a radio and set it up on a timer to blast loud music or keep it on a talk radio station. That has worked for me to scare the birds away.

Peace
    AnnOR

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

You can also use the netting they sell in the fabrics department. And try hanging up some of those AOL cds you get in the mail. I only have ONE in my tomatoes right now and haven't had a single bird attack the tomatoes...and we have thousands of birds out here.