I should have asked

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Dee, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

My last tetanus shot was over 11 years ago. Everytime I was working in my farm with rusty stuff, I would say "I have to get a booster" After reading the recent post on tetnus I said "I have to get that booster" Then when I got wacked in the head with a rusty barbless wire and said "I have to get that shot" So I finally make the appointment, see a nurse, see a doctor, then another nurse comes in and gives me the shot, hands me a piece of paper. I was going to ask, "That is tetanus, right?" But figured, how could it be wrong. When I got home, I read the paper they gave me and realized that I also got diphtheria. DIPHTHERIA! Are we having an epademic around here that I don't know about? You ask for a booster and they throw something else in....what, for the heck of it. I'm mad at myself for not asking.

2. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

it was Tetanus/Diptheria? TD? They usually try to combine those 2.

3. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

It's okay. You wouldn't want diptheria, either.

4. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

Yeah, didn't it used to be a 'DPT' or 'DTP' booster-- for diptheria pertussis/whooping cough and tetanus? I would probably ask a nurse to be sure.....

~~

5. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, wish I had that booster a couple yeas ago. I had Whooping cough. No fun.

6. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Head to your nearest health dept....they will usually give the tetanus booster for free or a very cheap price. I sent my DH and son there several years ago as they were doing alot of fencing work. Ounce of prevention is worth a lb. of cure. DEE

7. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

The one they give in the ER is usually just tetanus and diptheria---no pertussis in that one.

I just got one of those when I got bit by a dog last May. I didn't want the diptheria component but they didn't have a straight tetanus shot, so I took it with the diptheria vaccine.

8. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

It is generally given as a combination. As many adults have decreased immunity to diptheria (and should have a booster, not common but there are outbreaks)
    In our ER unless you are allergic or there is a specific reason to not have the diptheria booster. You will have the combo......but I will tell you what your getting!! By the way, some areas are recomending the booster with the pertussis also as there have been out breaks. We had an outbreak last spring in our area and I was tested and yes I was positive for pertussis (I usually don't get sick but sure took a bit to shake this bug), I had to take antibiotic and be revaccinated!! So don't hesitate to contact your local health department for your areas guidelines.

9. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

You made me smile Bink.

I don't like to take drugs as it is and will take the minimal possible. I should have been told it was a double shot and given the choice. I wanted just a tetanus.

Thanks all for your answers.

10. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

..since it is/was not likely that you would have been able to get a tetanus only vaccine....would you have gone home with no vaccination instead.....I also just got my booster and they made very sure that I was aware of what was being injected into me....in my case the dTap variety.....and while i was there I told them to jab me with the current flu vaccine............

11. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Thats funny Jillis, same thing happened to me in May.

12. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

This is true. They should always tell you, provided you're conscious.

13. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Well, I couldn't let it go and called them to tell them that they should have told me and to let others know in the future. They got my chart and informed me that it was the tetanus only, they didn't have any combos in the office and I was given the wrong paper.

Well, what do you think of that one? Real or cover up?

14. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

We are required to list manufactor lot number, exp date when we record the Diptheria-Tetnus booster. Our supplier provides prefilled syringes with a label with the information printed. So when you recieve an injection that labels goes right on your record next to my signature for where, when I gave it to you. Even when they didn't provide the printed labels we still wrote out the same info. So ask your doctor next time your in to see the record.

15. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Hard to say, and it doesn't really matter. It's probable they have info sheets made up for the tetanus/diptheria only since that vaccine is more common. It's possible they gave you tetanus only. It's possible they gave you both, but the diptheria vaccine shouldn't hurt you.

If they're smart, they made a note on your chart that you want to be informed, that you're not a passive patient. :)