I seem to have a doe that WILL NOT settle.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milking Mom, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Cher, my chamoisee milking doe, 3 years old. I saw Renegade breed her twice right in front of me not long ago and I SWEAR she is in heat again! Today on the milk stand there she is swollen vulva, nasty tail and juicy stuff smeared all over with hay stuck in it. I have had a buck in with these girls since late September. I put the little buck up when I got Renegade. What in the world could be the reason that hussy keeps coming back into season? I don't know exact breeding dates on my does either. the only 2 I saw was Shadow and Cher get bred by Renegade. I don't have any idea when Rio bred Telma and K.K., but I do believe those 2 have been bred for a while now as I have not seen either one of them come back into heat since the last time I had it marked on the calendar and K.K. is looking fat and her milk product has dropped WAY off. She probably isn't giving a pint a day now. Now Cher...She is still milking like a son of a gun. That girl is the milkingest darn thing I ever saw. She looks skinny to me, but when I up her feed to try and fatten her up she just makes more milk. Do you think I should dry her up? Any ideas? GEEZ I don't want to be having babies in the summer time.

2. tatanka

tatanka Well-Known Member

Go to the Chamoisee site under the FAQs section and read the article by Sue Reith regarding this subject. I too have had some problems this year with one doe that has kidded before. The article tells what to do to remedy the problem. Good Luck.

Marla

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Hi,

Your young buck likely couldn't have reached this big doe, even if she would have "LET" him :) So we can't go by that. Now you have a new buck who traveled a very long time to get there, stressed to the max, and now is breeding does, he may have had no semen even left to breed her, how many did he breed in a 48 hour period? All 3 :) I would definetly get her in the pen with him now, is she at 21 days from her last breeding? Beware also there are hussies who simply have heats for the first 21 day period or sometimes 2, are bred on subsequent heats, only to kid on the first breeding....they don't read the same books we do!

With her continued milking I would doubt she is bred, least wise not bred for any length of time, unlike your other doe who is showing you she is bred by her non-exsistant milk supply.

Can't they just drive us batty at times! :confused: Vicki

4. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Maybe that was it. Hopefully now that he has been getting good feed and hay and been here a while now he will be more potent than right after that 6 day trip in that trailer. I hope it sticks this time. I guess we will see in another 21 days. Cher didn't like the little buck. She is the queen and she thinks the little buck is just a little pest that needs to be corrected all the time. :p

5. Sue D

Sue D Member

Could you please explain where this is located? When I go to the FAQs at the top of the page, it's just FAQs for the bulletin board. Thanks.