Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone had taken dowels, and put plastic WM like sacks on them by the handles, filled them with whatever, and planted stuff in them.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
@FarmboyBill I'm terrible at visualization -- did they hang the dowels on something so the bags were hanging?

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
would be a good way to transport gift plants

Reactions: newfieannie

·
Registered
847 Posts
Those canvas reusable bags might hold up better than plastic. I'm not sure... haven't tried it. I did something similar with woven feed bags once and it lasted a season but overall I was dissatisfied with the setup.

·
Gadabout
2,745 Posts
I grew root vegetables in those reusable bags last year and they worked great. I left them sitting on the ground, but you could hang them. To harvest, I simply dumped them in a raised bed and dug through the dirt with my hands.

·
newfieannie
9,498 Posts
you can buy the proper sacks at wmart or you use to. i tried it one year. strawberries i think. hung it on my fence. didn't bother afterward. the one thing i do with bags of soil though is lay them down all along the back of the house under the eaves. cut a strip out of the middle and plant. this is good for me in the city to get more planting space.

if all goes well this year i plan a couple raised beds in the lawn. i also have pots on the deck for tomatoes, herbs, whatnot. ~Georgia

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
I like to use big pots, 5gal buckets and half barrels to plant my peppers. Can control the water better and easier to pick by either sitting on a chair or picking the pot up and putting it on the pickup tailgate. I can't stoop or squat like I used to.

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
Jan 12, 2021

I use pots for peppers too. They just don't grow well in my soil.

I have several recycled pop bottle turned into fabric planting bag pots. They work well for plants that need good drainage. They need to be set on some sort of barrier or roots grow through the bottom and into the soil which ruins the bags.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I use purses bought at goodwill store or yardsales. They do not have to be in good condition and depending on purse, might have to punch a drainhole. Squat wide purse works for me - lettuce LOVED it hanging on inside deck rail , but needed water often. deck gets over 100 degrees in summer easy.

·
newfieannie
9,498 Posts
i have never planted in a purse yet but i do use one with autumn decorations hanging on my chimney. many people have admired it over the years. i do believe it's here somewhere on HT. i might try planting in one this summer and hang on my fence i wouldn't use that one of course but i might find one at VV or SA that i could use that i wouldn't mind putting soil in. ~Georgia

·
newfieannie
9,498 Posts
this is the bag i mentioned. i bought it when i visited panama city beach but never used it for it's intended purpose .the more i think about it the more i think they would look good planted and hung on my deck. i've seen plenty at VV in the past. thanks Sapphira ~Georgia

1 - 14 of 14 Posts