I really need help...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by next61, Jan 1, 2007.

1. next61

next61 Well-Known Member

... I have been lurking on the backgrownd of this forum for over a year now. I read about wonderful lessons and experiences from extraordinary people that truly live life. Thank you for your thoughts and kindness! Thank you for your decency and good ideas. I have been using your advice for over a year now without contributing to this body of knowledge of this forum.
    I have decided to register and post my first question; I want that little piece of heaven. I want to start a hobby farm (homesteding is not realistic for me) with vegetables, fruit trees, chickens, two little girls, a wife, and a bussy schedule as an ER nurse. I left California a mounth ago towards Pennsylvania where I'm with my in-laws. We want to get this farm in any of the eastern states but the property tax scarres us. We looked in New Hampshire, is brutal there (sea coast), here in western Pennsylvania is no fun either. Does any of you can help me with an idea? A list of property tax rates posted on the web? Where should I move? How is Eastern PA in regard to propery tax?

2. 1GandJ1

1GandJ1 Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Maybe a few more details would give you some response. What do you consider low taxes? Moving from CA. I wood think all taxes are lower here on the east coast. Sometimes more details are need before suggestions are given.
    Also, do a search here on realtors and real estate.... Many good names have been listed many, many times before. Good luck with your search. We have a place in south NJ and Lehigh county Pa. We will sell both and be going to Tioga county Pa. Our idea of the best, but to each their own....

3. next61

next61 Well-Known Member

In California I was paying for a $600,000 house about $4000 per year... in PA, people where telling me that $10,000 per year is not much for the same thing :shrug:

4. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Why did you leave Calif? What are you doing now? As a hobby farmer guess you need to keep that job going so pick a state quick and get your RN license quick. Is PA good re close to inlaws? Maybe you can get your PA RN and do some pick up work (unless you're sitting on $600K from selling that Calif house and don't need to work for a few years, but still will look odd to be out of work so long when you return to look for work) and slowly look for a more rural, lower tax area of PA or whatever state you choose based less on taxes than good for family.

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Either coast tends to be expensive. Look inward or to the south. How good does your land have to be? Illinois land is much better than Michigan's, but costs a good deal more. Illinois has a longer growing season than Michigan, but land costs a good deal more. As an ER nurse you may not be able to pick your hospital but you should be able to pick your state. You need to balance out your salary with your expenses. Salaries in Chicago are more than they are in Detroit, but so is the cost of living. Where I live, in Michigan's thumb, wages are low, but you can live well because of the reduced real estate value and low crime.

I think you are wise to be looking at property taxes, as they are one more expense to be reconned with.

6. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

There is another point a $600,000 house in CA is not the same as a $600,000 house in IL or at least parts of it. The wages are not either.For instance I have a good friend who sold his nice home in my village(notice that its a VILLAGE) for all he asked ,it was paid for so he had his entire $32,000 cash to spend on his next home in San Deigo. He got almost exactly the same house there except in a more dangerous neighborhood and instead of being on half a block it was on one lot. If his compnay had not helped him he wouldnt have had enough for the 10% down payment of $48,000 arrrgh!

7. next61

next61 Well-Known Member

8. fantasymaker

There is another route Like was said before the middle of the country is cheep now that could mean IL or MS or ND all have cheep land.
    Take my place for instance I have a 120 acre farm for sale for $360,000. with taxes less than $500 a year Of course if you put a $240,000 house on it the taxes would go up but you would have the biggest house within the 8 county area!

9. next61

next61 Well-Known Member

FantasyMaker... that was cute!

10. Dutchie

Dutchie Well-Known Member Supporter

My bet is still on Eastern OK. Great climate .... perfect for growing things. I graze my cattle year round. Low cost of living .... high quality of life.

11. fantasymaker

LOL there really isnt anyway to tell .Heres why you are right there is a lot of diferent taxes and worse yet they are applied different.In Il with what looks like a high rate to things change the outcome First you are only assesed at 1/3 of value and one asseres Idea varies from the next and second there are so many tons of exemptions .Farm land is sorta exempt woods has a diferent rate waste and road isnt taxed pasture something else 1 acre is arbitarily taxed as a homsite. ponds get something else theres an owner occupied exemption etc.....It just goes on forever.

My best advise? It all comes out in the end, pick the place where you can make the most money and at the same time be comfortable with the land.
    LOL people are so unaware of "PLACE" you tend to feel like a fish out of water in the wrong landscape but folks hate to admit that.I think that right sence of place is important to your mental serineity.

12. giraffe_baby

giraffe_baby Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in Ky land is cheaper than what we had in michigan.
    We moved here and bought a 7,000 sqft ( plus cause they dont count FULL basements) home for 89.999, on 3.25 acres ( taxes run about 1,000 a year for city and county). NOW up in michigan this same house/land would run about 200,000 + another 60 or so in taxes. ( we lived in a 700 sq ft home on a lot in michigan and our taxes were 855 a year)
    GO to www.realtor.com and check out some homes on there, sometimes they list the taxes in the area too!:)

13. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

next61,

Glad you decided to jump in and post.

You need to look at particular counties within a state and not simply the state. You also need to define what you mean by hobby farm (here is a hint, you don't want to use the term hobby in describing your farm).

How you structure things is important. We pay very low taxes on our farm parcels that are under (CAUV). All we have is a small cabin and the barns (which do not get taxes reduced under CAUV....just the land). We have another parcel that is not under CAUV and has two homesites prepared on it. The taxes on that are much higher than the much larger parcels under CAUV.

With your background and experience you might want to consider NE Ohio. In Cleveland you have the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospital system. You could find a small farm east of Cleveland within a "reasonable" commute (I call that less than 30-40 minutes). The downside is that the counties east of Cleveland (Geauga and Ashtabula) are getting subdivided and built up.

If you were able to get a job at one of the hospitals in the Akron/Canton area there is good farmland at relatively reasonable prices (considering it is close to urban areas) to the south and east of Canton.

In our County (Carroll) there are several urgicare centers in the county seat (Carrollton) but I'm guessing wages might be a bit lower.

Hope this helps.

Mike

14. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

15. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

NE Ohio - My property is worth about $250K (assessor-appraised value is about 180K, tax basis is about 63K). Taxes are about $2600/yr which I consider to be high. After next year (I'll complete my 3-year ag exemption qualification) that will be reduced by about 40% which I consider reasonable. We're zoned C2 which is just short of industrial/mfg, and the Township will do practically anything to encourage ag enterprises of any scale or scope. Selling off the property is no problem. Best rated public school system in Ohio (which is partially why the PT is high).

16. fantasymaker

opps I Forgot!
    welcome Home Next61!!!

17. next61

next61 Well-Known Member

18. fantasymaker

Hey where were you born? where did you live till you were 20 or so? That type of area is where you would likely be most comfortable with. Funny thing i was Raised everywhere get homesick fo Alaska and for some weird reason i cant fathom find the western deserts comforting..........LOL I know noone finds the desert comforting and Im not "comfortable" there but they sooth me.I really think stuff like that is important when deciding where to live more so than taxes
    BY THE WAY If Taxes are really a HUGE Deal why not move to ALASKA They sorta work backwards there. In some places there are no property taxes ,no sales taxes ,no income taxes and they pay a VERY good wage!

19. next61

next61 Well-Known Member

20. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso