I rattled one in this a.m.

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by WildBillTN, Nov 5, 2006.

1. WildBillTN

WildBillTN Well-Known Member

Yesterday was the opening of muzzleloader season here in Tennessee. I had no luck last evening hunting the holler behind the house, but went this morning to a favorite management area nearby. It is very steep with lots of mountains and rough terrain.
    Just after daylight I climbed the steep ridge till I found a bench, or flat spot on the side of the ridge and set up my seat. I could hear movement in the area, but wasn't sure if it was squirrels or not. I decided to take out my deer antlers and try rattling, since the rut is just getting started here. Well, I put on a great show, scuffling the leaves, rattling and ticking the antler tines, then used the grunt call a time or two.
    Within 2 or 3 minutes I heard one coming my way. I got set for the shot, and a buck crossed over the knoll and came right towards me. I fired off a shot at 60 yards with my trusty muzzleloader that I call "Sweet Lips". As the smoke cleared I saw a white tail moving away, but slowly, and the tail was wagging back and forth. I saw the deer lay down, and I began reloading, and then stalked up on him. He stood as though he was going to run, but laid back down.
    I approached him, ready to shoot again, but he was down for good. Not a trophy, but a big-bodied mountain deer, with four points and weighing 120 lbs. field dressed. I really don't care about the antlers on this one. After all, antlers make mighty thin soup, I always say.
    He is already resting nicely in the coolers, iced down till I can finish processing him. Now that I have my freezer meat supply replenished, I can focus on hunting the big boy that I know is out there. As I was field dressing the buck this morning I had four more come running by me.
    In case any of you are curious, I used a TC .50 caliber Hawkin rifle that I made from a kit. I use 90 grains of Pyrodex and a patched round ball. I've taken many deer with it in the past, and it is deadly accurate out to 80 yards.
    Good luck to all ya'll who are hunting this weekend!

Wild Willie

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

:dance: :hobbyhors Way to go Wild Willie!!! I use Patch and Ball alot.Mighty good fun.Our Season starts next Saturday.I have a Big Rack i cut down for Rattling.My boy couldn't believe I use a Rack that Big.

big rockpile

3. :goodjob: Way to go Wild Bill! I just love to hear these success stories. Also glad I'm not the only one out in the woods huntin with patch and round balls. If they can do the job, why go with the fancy In-lines? The one I shot yesterday with my .45 turned the heart into blood jelly. It didn't pass all the way through the deer and it didn't tear very much meat up.

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

5. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Wild Bill, did you take any pictures? Just dying to see some 2006 deer kills. I did take everyone's advice and stayed in my climber for five hours opening day. Saw a buck into hour two, watch him for 20 minutes, any shot would have been low percentage. At least I know he's still out there. I will be in the holler today around one o'clock and watching those benches...Congrats...Wild willy....Tennessee John

6. WildBillTN

WildBillTN Well-Known Member

John,

No, I didn't take any photos of this one. He took a quick trip to the freezer. I plan to have the hams and shoulders cut into steaks at the processor, but wish I had a saw to do it myself. I also want to buy a grinder to make burger with the trimmings.
    Do you have a grunt call or bleat call? I have called them in many times with a call. Deer are curious and will check out another "deer" if you know how to use the call.
    Get back after that big'un again....persistence does pay off. And remember, you can't kill one lying on the couch. ;)