I posted this on the cattle board

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by 65284, Mar 7, 2005.

1. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

but since it is not strictly about cattle I am posting it here also.

Last month I got a call from some people interested in buying Dexters. They were especially interested in buying a milk cow. I invited them to come and look at what we had for sale. They came and brought the whole family including the kids. I spent a good four hours giving them the grand tour, answering a lot of questions about the Emus, Rheas, Llamas, Swans, etc., as well as the cattle. They were interested in a 5-year-old Dexter cow that is broke to milk, a heifer, and a young bull. After showing they the pedigrees and answering more questions they asked the price of the three animals. After some negotiation, a price was agreed on and a delivery date of today was set. They had moved here from California in December and needed a few weeks to finish fencing the property, they said. Well, early this morning, delivery day, I got a call; sorry we haven't been able to arrange financing for the Dexters. These folks arrived in a new Suburban, were nicely dressed, well spoken, obviously well educated, and the wife was wearing what appeared to be some expensive jewelry. As part of the agreement I did a lot extra for these folks, halter broke the young bull, halter broke the heifer and bred her to one of my bulls that they had selected, and agreed to keep them for a month and then deliver them at no extra charge. This is the second time this year this has happened. I suppose it was a case of “buyers remorse” or they found cheaper Dexters. Does a person’s word have no value anymore? These were both (literally) handshake agreements. I have come to the realization that in today’s world that doesn't mean a damned thing. I have always done business this way, and I hate the thought of deposits and contracts. If a person wants out of a written agreement or wants their deposit back they would probably sue and have a contract voided or deposit returned. The really aggravating part of this whole thing is another looker; cash in hand, tried to buy the cow, and in fact offered me several hundred dollars more than I had "sold" her for. I never even for a second considered letting him buy her, told him she was sold, and wouldn't even talk about it. I guess I'm just too old fashioned/naive/stupid/trusting, or something. End of rant!!

2. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

You can't do business that way. You did'nt close well. Most buyers will find life more simple if you just give them a near term deadline for closing and actually close the deal by getting full payment. Once a buyer buys without being able to look back they will only look positively on their purchase (who wan'ts to feel bad). Charge after-the-fact for boarding and breeding.

What you described has happend many times to my wife in her start-up internet business. She is learning. It is, of course, easier to see the problem in someone's else business than in one's own (myself, for example).

3. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I think lots of livestock sellers have been burned this way.The next time someone comes alookin, I would politely tell them money talks. If you want it, buy it, paid in full, take it away, now. Cash and carry. If they don't have the money, a trailer, a barn, a fence, tell them to come back when they do. I got stuck with two pigs last year, that someone wanted me to raise and backed out days before slaughter, and it won't happen again. The money is in my pocket before I order anything to raise. Subscription only.

4. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

When I was in the poodle business, it was non-refundable deposit and if you didn't keep your end of the bargain, the first person to come in with the money got the puppy. You can't let people tie you up that way. If they have no vested interest, they lose interest.

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I've also found with goats that someone who absolutely wants a certain kid is not necessarily going to come back for it. I now tell people I have to sell to the first person who has cash in hand. Most people understand that.

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Deposits are just part of business. I have almost always paid deposits on livestock that I wasn't able to pick up right then.

In one case, I paid a deposit to a Canadian guy for some cattle. A couple months before we were to go get them, the border was closed. Since this was an obvious "act of god" kind of thing, he returned my deposit. I offered for him to keep out what he had paid in feed between the time we made the deal and the time the border was closed, but he refused. He refunded the whole deposit. I even made $100 as the exchange rate had changed.

In other cases, I know very well that if I don't follow through on the deal, my deposit is lost. I would not think of suing since I knew that when I paid it. I would try to reason with someone if I had a very good reason for backing out, but if they refused to return it....tough luck, it's their right.

Ask for a deposit next time. If they squawk, you don't want them for customers anyways.

Jena

7. affenpinschermom

affenpinschermom Well-Known Member

I have raised Scottish Highland cattle for about 15 years. When someone commits to buying one I have them sign a simple sales contract and always take a down payment of a set amount, generally $100, nonrefundable. It works very well. Most people do not want to lose that much. People are fickle and make decisions impulsively. Making them put money where their mouth is, always makes them think.

8. Breezie

Breezie Active Member

65284-

I feel really bad for you. I swear it seems honest folk don't have a place in this world anymore. Maybe you made a poor business decision according to this time-period's terms, but I have to say I'd much prefer it if a person's word was bond again. I guess those of us that adhere to such a philosiphy are an endangered species. :(

My hat's off to you for thinking that honesty is still a good way to do business.

9. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

It could also be that their situation changed, life got in the way, or something beyond their control intervened. Thinking the worst just makes you frustrated.

10. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

The needed financing to pay for the livestock???!!!

Sounds like they may be living at their credit limit!

If someone ever told me they needed to finance to by livestock from me I'd have to wonder how they would afford monthly feed bill and vet services.

Sometimes I take deposits other times not.....

Sorry you had such a lousy experience.....but maybe you'll get more money out of your animals in the long run!

11. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

I was talked into keeping a check and not cashing it for the deposit on a 14x70 trailer house we were selling. Well, I held the check two weeks longer than agreed on. And when the lady finally owned up to not buying it, she'd already stopped the payment on the check! I did have two firm offers in the house, but I still live buy my word and held the check. The last thing I told her was I believed, "What comes around, go's around, you'll get it ten times back". Her son died in the first part of the war in Afghanistan.
    If this happened because of the trailer, I'm sorry for her son, but that's all. She is still a liar. shadowwalker