Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And the bees haven’t gone to it yet.... I have some planted near the hives. Some on the other side of the house around the garden. And some straight across the yard from the hives. A lot of the obvious stuff around the yard they ignore. I know they are finding SOMETHING though. I just wanted to see them work some of the things I planted.

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to plant more clover. There is clover along the road they found when it was in bloom. I would like more lol.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I swear bees are just like cats.... here's a great toy! No I want the box.

They'll find it, and use it, but only when you're not looking.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Buck wheat does not require insect pollination, nor are honey bees well adapted to use it as a source of nectar. Buck wheat's main advantage for honey production is that it blooms into Sept when other sources of nectar are dwindling. Buckwheat (purdue.edu) --scroll down to "C"- Honey Crop.

·
Premium Member
26,588 Posts
Have you tried planting lemon balm? It doesn't bloom until later in the summer but my plants are filled with bees when it does bloom.

·
Premium Member
6,775 Posts
I don't keep hives, but I've got some clover and the bees really like it. It seems to have a long blooming period.

What bees love more than anything is lemon blosoms.... which doesn't work unless you have bees where lemon trees will live. I kept a dwarf lemon in the house and would put it outside on nice days and the bees acted like they were drunk, all rolling around in the blossoms, they were so happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts