Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you know that raisins/grapes were as bad for your dog as chocolate? I didn't and have been giving my dogs raisins for a few years. There was a lady at the vet who brought in her limp dog after he had just a few. I had overheard her talking to the vet who said it would be touch-and-go for a few days. The vet said all other veggies/fruit is ok, just nothing made from grapes.


The reason I was at the vet is because my 3yo chihuahua went in 2 weeks ago to get his teeth cleaned and brought home kennel cough. Now all 5 doggies have it and the 1st set of medications was not curing it. My vet has been nice enough to give all medication to me for free since he picked up the cold there. The 3yo had been vaccinated for kennel cough however the vet said it is like the flu and that vaccination is not covering the current strain.

Just thought I would let you guys/gals know.

Sarah
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,164 Posts
I just heard about this a couple months ago, and I have to say that my oldest dog has always loved fruits and vegies. she actually goes around the property eating the ripe blackberries off the vine. I have been feeding her grapes since she was a pup. Whe loves them.God only knows what could be wrong with her but, she is big and happy and healthy! the vets says so too.... Not that that makes it okay just my experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
Farmgirl2005 said:
Grapes, raisins, onions, garlic and yes some mushrooms are all posionous to are loving pets.
lyn
My dog should be dead many times over; he eats most everything that I eat. He is even eating tomato sandwiches, now that surprised me. He won’t eat lettuce or raw onions, mushrooms and peppers unless they are cooked.
Yes, he is spoiled and he only gets a little once everyone is done eating.
 

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
Joined
·
6,674 Posts
actually I thought garlic was good for dogs? I used to know a man that wormed his dogs by feeding them raw burger with finely chopped onion in it. He had beautiful dogs that were healthy and he swore by this....had been doing it for years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,990 Posts
The scary thing with grapes/raisins is that they don't know exactly why it affects dogs. The problems don't seem to be dose related (how much they ate) or breed/size related. The toxicity just seems to pop up sometimes. There are theories that it might be some sort of mold or toxin that grows occassionally on grapes. I too have let my dogs eat grapes/raisins and still don't freak out if they get a stray grape now and then.

With the other foods, small amounts mostly likely won't cause any harm. I don't get worked up about a few slivers of onion and some garlic won't hurt. It would take several pounds of milk chocolate to make dogs of my dogs' size sick (it takes less baking chocolate, but I don't cook with it anyway).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,242 Posts
Years ago, I had baked a double chocolate cake with chocolate icing. I was called out of the kitchen and didn't put the cake up high enough. The dog consumed the whole thing. No effect. Didn't even throwup.

I think chocolate doesn't affect critters in the U.S. 'cause we don't have real chocolate. Overseas, the chocolate is 60% - 85% cacao. Here, only 10%.

Dogs/cats have been given garlic for eons to keep the ticks/fleas off. The dog and I take an odorless garlic softgel daily so no insects bite us.

Don't feed my critters table food, so no problem there. My grandfather fed his dogs grapes. Of course, back then they had REAL food and no pesticides.
 
G

·
Rogo said:
Years ago, I had baked a double chocolate cake with chocolate icing. I was called out of the kitchen and didn't put the cake up high enough. The dog consumed the whole thing.
Were you annoyed? :baby04:
 

·
In Memorium
Joined
·
15,516 Posts
Just yesterday, we were at the store, looking at bran cereals for our dog, Goldie. He's old now and a bit of bran helps "move things along". Roger found some cheap raisin bran and I told him to put it back.

We had a Yorkie that would eat any fruit and veggie like there was no tomorrow. He ate grapes and loved them. Once, he ate about two cups of strawberries before Roger discovered that he hadn't put the bucket up high enough.

I think, with most foods/animals,the key is moderation. Three grapes are fine but a cup of them isn't.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,944 Posts
Kennel cough really doesn't need medication. Just let it run it's course. Sounds horrible but the dog won't die from it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TedH71 said:
Kennel cough really doesn't need medication. Just let it run it's course. Sounds horrible but the dog won't die from it.
The problem is it has been 2+ weeks that they have been up all night coughing, so the vet gave them some medicine to help their trachea relax. It is amazing how much difference it is making. They are still not themselves, however, they are tons better then they have been.

These are my babies, since I am in school and have no time for children, so them being sick has taking a toll on me as much as them. Not to mention that I wanted the vet to pitch in since that is where they picked it up at.

Sarah
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top