I need your alls take.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by daytrader, May 7, 2005.

1. daytrader

daytrader Well-Known Member

It has been a while since I raised rabbits for meat. Like ten years.

I am wanting to start now because I like rabbit meat. I also have folks wanting it.

The guy next door has 8 kids. He lives by hunting. I am wanting to raise for my self and for him. Maybe hook up some other folks around here.

I am new to this site. I am hopeing there are some folks here like me. I do what I can for myself.

OK, so here is the deal.

I can house the rabbits in one of two locations. I have a 3 acrea spot my home is on with my shop. These cages would be out side under a lean too. Maybe even in a 60x 40 pole barn. I want to use automatic watering. I really do not want them here unless it is best for it. I use most of these 3 acres for free range chickens. I give 95% of the eggs away to elderly that bake for money or to churches to give out to folks.

I could also use a 1.25 acre peice of land I own about 2 blocks away. I just bought this place and plan on putting 5 30x150 green houses for produce production on it. It has two active wells and propane tanks for heat.

This location has a old house on it. The home was lived in up to about 1 month ago. I do not feel like investing what it would take to get the home to pass inspection to rent it out. So I was thinking of gutting most of it and using it as a rabbit house or for my chickens. It has propane heat and free water.

I could even build a lean to on this location as well.

I really would like to maybe earn a small to break even profit on my rabbits. Basically eat for free if you know what I mean.

Now, one more thing. It has been 10 years for me. I still remeber alot. The California Rex was the thing about 10 years ago for meat production and pelts. Is this still true? If not what is the one to go with now?

How is the pelt market? Last time I was in it wasn't worth anything we just burned them.

2. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

If you are not going to rent out the house, I would put them there. If there is plumbing and such, you could leave a bathroom there so you don't have to sprint down the block when the time comes. I would look into some type of container to put under the cages to control the waste. If you have propane, you can control the temp and keep it nice and warm and raise worms below the cages all year long. Then take the compost out to your green houses when you cycle the worm bin. That would leave your pole barn open for other things like cage door manufacturing :D

3. daytrader

daytrader Well-Known Member

I have seen many talk about raising worms or vermaculture.

Any money in it?