Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need to paint my barn. I need to do other repairs as well but mostly, I need to paint. I hired a pro to do the house but I can't afford that now. The pro used some type of fuzzy looking disk like a scrub pad to remove the house paint. It did a good job. any ideas what it was? Also, can I use a thinned down oil based primer to put on in the winter and then spray an oil based paint later in the year in between all the other farm jobs? I don't like the idea of working on it in the winter but I don't know when I'm going to find the time otherwise. Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
To do it right - first you need to remove any loose paint - you can do that with a paint scraper - then you need to cover any bear spots with a primer paint - this is made to stick to the surface and also provide a good base for the finish coat - you can put on the primer and wait to put on the finish coat but don't paint when the temperature to below 55F or so - I find that the most work in painting is preparing the surface - putting on the finish coat is fun - cause you can see how much nicer the place looks - you can use a water base paint over a oil primer but you can't use an oil paint over a water based primer -

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Honestly, once you've scraped the old paint, any bare wood that is grayed needs to be sanded to new, bright wood in order for the paint to adhere properly.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Just finished a bunch of painting myself. Used a pressure washer to knock to loose paint off, then Zinser 1-2-3 primer. They tout it to stick to "any surface".

I was a little concerned the sheep might eat the paint chips I'd knocked off, probably lead based paint. Then I got thinking, how much more stupid could they really get?

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
JoePa, you've got me chuckling. I tend to quickly convert statements into visuals. "then you need to cover any bear spots with a primer paint" To which I got to thinking, if he has bears peeing on his walls, he's goinna need more than a a good primer... :D

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Just finished a bunch of painting myself. Used a pressure washer to knock to loose paint off, then Zinser 1-2-3 primer. They tout it to stick to "any surface".

I was a little concerned the sheep might eat the paint chips I'd knocked off, probably lead based paint. Then I got thinking, how much more stupid could they really get?
Don't ya just love sheep?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I believe the 'fuzzy disc" your referring to is called a Wagner paint eater. They work well but if you redoing a barn i'd get a couple extra discs.

Pick the best day to prime and paint you can, that will affect the results more than anything else. Lower humidity, no damp wood, plenty of dry time for primer, no direct sun on the painting surface if possible until dry. Painting exterior wood is not that tough of a job but there are a few rules you have to follow, wood should be sanded smooth all loose stuff gone, dust free, no moisture, I would prime the whole thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts