Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DW has just been offered a killer job that we just can't turn down. Unfortunately, it's in downtown Albany, NY. This is about 98% certain to happen, so I need to research the area. We will want to try to stay within a 45 minute (hopefully less) commute of downtown.

I'm hoping there are members here familiar with the area. Which way to look; north, east, south or west? Is real estate around the Albany area significantly higher than the rest of upstate NY?

I'm also hoping I can still try to find that 15 - 20 acre (at least) parcel that is right for us. Any info or advice about the area and how to start a search would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
292 Posts
Downtown Albany is a dump, but the surrounding area is nice. With a 45 minute commute you can have as much acreage as you like and the prices aren't bad. I think you'd want to look north and/or west but I'm sure there are decent deals in the other directions.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I used to live in Galway and commuted to Albany. It was about 45 minutes to an hour including parking the car. I drove to Schenectady to pick up the Thruway because I didn't like the Northway with its frequent accidents. From the Thruway I drove to the eastern exit for Albany - can't remember the highway number...

Loved Galway! Moved across country due to health reasons and to be near my adult children. If possible would have never left. Galway is in northwest Saratoga county.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
I agree with the others. I live farther north about n hr. but u can go 45 minutes in any direction n find what your looking for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts