I need to ID a bug(beetle)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Linda Camello, May 21, 2004.

1. Linda Camello

Linda Camello Well-Known Member

I found a beetle and I need to ID it. Where/how can I see pics of all beetles to ID it? Or does anyone know how I can find a professional entomologist?? This beetle is very unusual and I have never seen it before and neither has my father!! It is over one inch in length and has bright shiny green wings(like a japanese beetle) and it has some shiny metallic gold around those wings! The underneath looks like it is shiny green also. It is most unusual but I really want to find out what kind of a beetle it is...asap.....any help would be appreciated. Thanks!! (P.S. I am central Ohio if that helps.)

2. Soni

Soni Well-Known Member

LOL! There are a gazillion species of identified insects, and a goodly portion are hard-shelled beetle-types - and scientists are quite sure that there are about as many unidentified to boot. You'd need a website the size of the Internet for that!

It's probably some varity of scarab, like the June beetle. There are over 30,000 species of those alone. Good luck. :)

3. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Six-Spotted Green Tiger Beetle?
    [​IMG]

Woodland Carabid?
    [​IMG]

Green June Beetle?
    [​IMG]

4. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

Might want to check pictures of that ash borer beetle also. It's supposed to be in parts of Ohio and Indiana. If that's what it is call you DNR.

Karen in NE Indiana

5. Linda Camello

Linda Camello Well-Known Member

Thank you so much fin29 !!!!! The 2nd one you listed is the beetle I have here....now all I have to do is research it & learn more about it. Thanks so very much!!!!!!!!