I need therapy....

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GoldenWood Farm, Jan 14, 2007.

1. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Ok I know that everyone on here (well almost everyone) can understand this plight......I am gripping a bit here :p . I WANT BABYS!!!!! I have 28 days to go until the first one is due :Bawling: . Nothing is set up for kids yet (doing that all from the 20th-27th of this month as I am off). But I want babys so bad....I want to have the thrill of staying up those late nights....and wondering if she might kid now or wait until morning and all that good stuff :p . WAAAAAAA!!!!

It is tiring but so exciting for me waiting to see what will be born...staying up waiting for that one doe to kid.... :help: ....I need therapy I think :help: .

Anybody else in the same boat as me?

MotherClucker

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I can wait. I have extra fat ewes ready to pop any minute - and they're making me tear my hair out. Sheep aren't like goats, they don't want to to be in a "lambing pen" - at least mine don't, so they're in what I term the "lambing pasture" a small 1 acre lot fenced in with 6' fence and a snug three sided barn. Will they lamb in the barn? Who knows. Every morning I go out to feed them at first light and look - only to find one or two of them nesting in the brush. Sigh. My first kids are due (I think) on the 8th of February. However, today, while doing routine 'let me feel your udder' checks, I find that one doe, who was NOT bred, has uddered up and is getting quite fat. The daddy? The only suspect is her half sister's buckling, who was in with the does and kids until he was about 10 weeks old. 10 weeks is too young, right? Maybe I should mention he's the BIGGEST lamancha buckling I've ever seen, he was a single when I thought mom was surely going to have triplets, weighed a healthy 15 lbs, is 7 months old and well over 100 lbs now.. bigger than a couple of my yearling does. Sigh sigh sigh. Oh, and one of my bucks is sick or something, he has NO symptoms other than he's suddenly gone off feed and just wants to lie around. Normal temp, normal poop, no straining to pee - the only thing I may suspect is UC, so will treat as such.. NO, I DO NOT NEED KIDS RIGHT NOW. Because for sure, I'd have to bottle feed them. OH, and I forgot, my local feed store? Closed because the owner's sick - closed! And so tomorrow I have to drive 60 miles, over the mountain, through snow, to get feed. Okay, rant over. :)

3. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

DocM that sucks! Hope your buck is ok :( See....I need therapy because I really don't NEED kids right now nor could I handle kids......but I still WANT them :help: .

MotherClucker

4. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I see the pictures of adorable kids other breeders are having and sort of wish for them, but in all reality, I'm glad my first kids aren't due until the end of Feb. It's just so darn cold here now that I really don't want to be running down to the goat pens all night til it gets a bit warmer. If we had kids in the cold weather we've been having, my house would soon turn into a goat nursery.

5. LMonty

LMonty Well-Known Member

Maybe you should call a vet???

Just kidding :)

6. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

I'm ready for babies toooooooooooo :baby04:
    I can hardly wait. I don't have any due till March and April.
    Two of my does are in season and I'm so tempted to throw
    them in with a buck for June babies :)
    Kidding season is a wonderful time of year isn't it.

7. Beaners

Beaners Incubator Addict

I can help you. Go outside at the coldest time of night. Some form of precipitation is preferred. Now go back inside and set your alarm for an hour and a half from now. Repeat until a little after sunrise.

Next day: repeat last nights fun except today it starts an hour earlier, and you spend twice as long out in the weather before you come back inside.

Repeat every night until the urges go away. Until then just go out late at night and fuss over the mama-goats until they think you're absolutely nuts. Good luck!

Kayleigh

PS-At least you know you'll get babies eventually! :D

8. arcticow

arcticow Well-Known Member

Maybe some wood that needs split into slivers??? I don't have an answer, cause I still go nuts waiting.

9. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Probably would have had I panicked. The buck died about an hour after I posted. No clues. I will venture a guess at pneumonia, but he was kept in a stall like a prince. 3 years old and always healthy. Had access to minerals, was wormed, on a good buck diet, wasn't too awful thin after breeding about 10 does this year. Didn't have access to anything poison, didn't even go outside the last few days because of the horrible cold. Ruled out bloat, didn't have any symptoms of anything at all in fact. Just punked out late yesterday afternoon, and died without a fuss 6 hours later. No crying, no pulling his head back, just looked sleepy. Any guesses?

10. LMonty

LMonty Well-Known Member

sorry to hear of your loss, thats a shame :(

wow, I'd hesitate to guess much on this one. pneumonia does sound like a good candidate, but I think youre savvy enough to have noticed signs like respiratory problems or fever. unless it was an odd variant virus that kills quick with little symptomatology.

the only thing that sticks out in your description is that the weather kept them inside. any chance he could have gotten into something, or gotten a wood splinter or something that could have caused internal bleeding? I doubt thats likely from the descriptions Ive read of your premises, but just throwing ideas out- any chance of a contaminent in your hay or feed?

guess without a necropsy its impossible to be sure. I know I hated the mystery when it happened to me, makes me uncertain that its a one time only thing.

11. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I'm wondering about an internal injury. His regular buddy is off breeding a friend's goats, so he was out with my yearling ram, who isn't in the least bit aggressive (as this buck isn't either). Maybe they got a wild hair and fought? He was out with him a couple days ago in a small paddock. Maybe he fell off the "kid" play structure or something. Necropsy to be done on Wednesday. I didn't notice him cribbing on anything. His nature was very quiet and gentle. Will be a loss, he was a Scotty Tempo son and spitting image. I didn't get any bucklings out of him last year (all does!), but have 10 does bred to him this year. He wasn't tanked, but his previous owner may have some.

12. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Then my spouse is terminal :p

13. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

oops, except for the gone off feed part.

14. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Next time, I'll read the whole thread before being a smartass. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I am interested in hearing what the necropsy says. Please let us know.

15. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Maybe I should put the word out now, with all the baby crazy people on here, that I'll be in the market for a jr herdsire this year. Something Lamancha, milky and big boned. Eastern breedings would interest me, my goats are all west coast bloodlines. Whatcha all got?

16. goatlover270

goatlover270 Well-Known Member

Babies, babies and more babies LOL LOL
    Everyone wants babies. I enjoy the babies, but I hate going through the times of stress....When you have a lil one that is still born or doesn't make it after you fuss over it and try your best to keep it alive..bawl bawl....
    It really is emotional, some of you know what i am talking about.
    They are like having grandkids ya know..LOL Can spend time and spoil them and then give 'em back to mama to take care of,although we have to look out for their well being. That's how I look at it.

Beaners, I have tried to do that, but ya know, still I guess I just got that maternal instinct in me... my kids have all just over the peak of graduating, but ....
    Hmmm, if I could get me a real baby.. ROFLLLLLL
    I am just a baby lover haha!!