Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't post often, but I am here every day, one of my "sanity checks". I guess I just need to vent. We lost everything in Katrina, okay, no biggie, we got through it on our own, keep moving, right? So we moved to Texas after 2 years in a camper (one we bought prior to the hurricane to stay in while we built a home). In the last 2 years, I have dealt with kidney stones taking up 80% of my kidney (major surgery after numerous lithotripsies), hernia repair, and in August total hysterectomy and reconstructive repair, which I am still having "issues" with, but we won't go there...lol.

In September, here comes hurricane Ike...sheesh! I have to say that we are blessed, as we do have a roof over our heads and no one was hurt however...

we did have alot of damage...it shifted the entire house, took out all of my sheds, etc. The house is unlevel, we had to relevel it ourselves because the insurance did not pay enough to have it done, etc. So much of the work, we have had to do. We had to tear out our fireplace because the whole thing was cracked and there was black mold starting in the wall, ceiling and floor. Long story but I am scared to death that the house is gonna just fall apart, I still have no carpet in the area that we had to pull up, my carport is completely twisted, electrical issues because of surges, etc. Now, I love my hubby and son, but they can only do so much, especially hubby because he has some disabilities, etc. He was laid off after the hurricane and so now, we have no income coming in. I have disabilities but don't qualify for SSI because I don't have enough credits. A tree came down on my fence and all of my goats left along with one of my livestock guardian dogs (I think she went with them to protect them.) I am sure someone has them.

I know it sounds like I am whining, and I don't mean it to sound that way, really, I don't. Most days, I count my blessings, once in awhile, I feel like I am just drowning and this morning is one of those mornings. I just am totally frazzled and when I get this way, I feel "paralyzed" and don't know which way to go. I am enrolling in a school for medical transcription, something that I can do from home and contribute. Hubby and son are job hunting but so far, no luck.

I am usually one of those people whose glass is half full rather than half empty, but not this morning. This morning I am feeling rather lost and alone. Please just keep us in your prayers for better things. Thank you so much for letting me vent and for listening. The folks on this board, all of you, are awesome people, kind and giving and I feel blessed to be here with all of you.
Rita

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am so sorry Rita. Prayers for peace and blessings to wash away the negative and fill your cup to overflowing!

Jessie

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Oh Rita... :grouphug:.... I cannot even begin to imagine what you have been through (or anyone who's been through the hurricanes)...

Praying for you.... :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have days when I feel so overwhelmed with things, and then I read something like this and feel like giving myself a good shaking for complaining at all- I hope that things begin to look up for you soon, and the best I can say, is, it looks as if you have nowhere to go but "up" - good luck to you.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Gosh that is a lot of rough things happening. You sound like a really positive person though, considering all you've been through. I know that things will get better for you and your family.

·
plains of Colorado
4,176 Posts
take a deep breath, go have a cup of tea (or something you like) and think (as my mother always said) things could be worse. (((((HUGS)))))

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Many prayers to you. I've never been through this situation, but have been through some very difficult times, and it has been the prayers and support of those around me that got me through.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Prayers said that a job is found soon.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Rita, praying for you. I don't usually post even if I pray for someone, but it sounds like you need reassurance. Someone is listening. Have Faith.

·
Registered
319 Posts
It sounds like you need Extreme Makeover Home Edition to come to your house. I don't know anything about you( where exactly you live or even your name) or I would do it myself. If I were you I would nominate myself and not feel a but bad about it. I think shows like that are used as really good advertising for their sponsors while helping people who really need it. And sweetie, it sounds like you need it. Not just for the new roof over your head but for the morale boost it would give you. Besides, that Ty Pennigton is kinda nice to look at! Sometimes all it takes is making one small change for things to start rolling in the right directions. I wish you all the best.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
I know how you are feeling. Its like just one more thing will be the straw that breaks your back!! I have a couple of coping tactics. One is a list. It makes me feel good to cross anything off of it. Another is to just get up and do something, anything, even if its wrong (!), just get moving.

The floor without carpet -- if the subfloor is in good condition, could you paint it or put down vinyl tile or carpet tiles or an area rug until you can afford the time and $'s for the repair/replacement you want.

·
Enjoying Four Seasons
3,107 Posts
Oh gosh ~ I'm so sorry. Nothing like one thing kicking you down after another, right? After reading your story I have full faith that you will be able to pull things together again. Hang in there. You are very strong. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts