I need some ideas

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by astrocow, Dec 31, 2005.

1. astrocow

astrocow Well-Known Member

The entire top floor of our house is a bedroom, 28'X14'. It's the only one for the 2 adults here. There is a double patio door at one end, where the stairs come up, and at the other end there is a fairly large window. The walls along the length of the room are 42" high knee walls, the end walls are triangular. Our house is a 1 and 1/2 story chalet style.
    We are currently drywalling and I would really like to see any pics of what anybody has for storage space ie drawers, shelving, closets that are affected in their design by a knee wall. I can't post pictures so I hope I gave a good discription of this room.
    Thanks all.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

28 feet is more room than most bedrooms require. A possibility would be framing in a long closet on both sides of the room leaving a hallway just a little wider than the patio doors on the entry end. The closets could be about 3 1/2 to 4 feet deep and as long as you wanted them.

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd turn the top of the stairs into an open room. You'd have to go through this room to enter the bedroom. The bedroom closets would then be placed against this wall. I'd make the outer room either a computer/library or a sitting area. I'd put in shelves and a closet here. This will shorten a rather long room and make the bedroom more managable.

4. astrocow

astrocow Well-Known Member

You've got my mind working now. It never occurred to me to put in a wall. I've been sitting up there looking at this big empty space with a bed sitting in the middle for so long my imagination disappeared.
    Thanks and keep the ideas coming I really appreciate them.