I need some help from a Math genius!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by second_noah, Dec 28, 2004.

1. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

And maybe a spell checker....

At any rate, I have a few questions for anyone who can help me.

I am in the process of putting of fencing and building a roundpen from the ground up. I have never really paid much attention to how much materials I needed or used because I have an existing perimeter fence and therefore I never really paid attention because all I did was repair it when needed.

WELL, now I am in the process of tearing down all the old barbed wire and cattle mesh and I am going to put up a combo vinyl/coated wire horse fence for the perimeter and I will also be building a round pen as well as a new paddock. Thing is, I suck at measurements and math. I have been outta school for too long to remember anything it seems.

Square feet I understand, BUT, linear measurements I don't. Are they the same thing? If not, how to you know which to use? How do you deterimine how much material you need to perimeter fencing? Do you change a per acre measurement into feet? Also, when building a round pen that will be 40 feet in radius, how do you determine how many feet of fencing/planks you need to go all the way around because it seems to be 40 feet measured with a tape measure wouldn't be enough, would it?(See how incredibly STUPID I am?)

Is any of this making any sense? I could probably just go check out a book or something but I would rather have some one explain it to me in terms I UNDERSTAND. Math books and I don't have a well running history together.

Anyone? Anyone? Any help would be nice. And please don't tell me to have someone else do it. I want to know how myself. The construction part is a breeze to me, it's the planning that I screw up.

Thanks ya'll!

2. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I'm no good at math either, but I can tell you that the round pen will take lots more than 40 feet. We built a 50 foot one, & it took a little over 170 feet of panels.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I think you mean: How much in feet is the permiter of a 40 foot diameter circle. 40 X 3.14 plus a bit for wastage, maybe 5% additional. Don't forget to subtract the gates width.

As for the linear measurement this only means the distance in feet from one end to the other, measured with a 100 feet tape or a rolling distance wheel, available at any well stocked building supply.

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

A 40 ft. radius round circle would have a 5030 ft circumference (or perimeter).

Circumference = 2 x radius x 3.1416

An acre is 43,560 square feet. An acre can have many dimensions. If the acre was a perfect square it would be about 208.7 ft on a side.

But an acre of land could also be 100 ft wide times 435.6 ft long

.....or 75 ft wide and 580.8 ft long

....or 150 ft wide and 290.4 ft long.

Length (ft) x width (ft) = area (sg. ft)

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Remember radius is 1/2 of the diameter. If the circle is 40ft across, the radius is 20ft.
    The measuring wheel is the best way for large fence lines. You can rent one or possibly borrow one. Police use them for accident scenes, utility companies use them for their large ground measurements, some real estate agents have them for property measurements, insurance agents use them for exterior measurements. Possibly you know someone that could lend you one for this one time use.

6. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Cabin Fever - check your math. My bet is that you calculated area which is radius squared times pi. Circumference is pi times the diameter or in your example would be 80 times 3.1416 or about 252 linear feet.

Second Noah - do you want a pen that is 40 feet across or 80 feet across. You said radius which is half the diameter. If you want a 40 foot diameter pen then it will be 126 feet in circumference.

7. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Opps, you're correct! How the heck did I come up with 5030ft?

8. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

Ok whoa Nelly! Thanks folks! :) When I finish translating this for myself I KNOW it will be very helpful! haha

I am already more educated than I was 4 hours ago, now I just have to read back over and "re-plan".

Thanks again!

9. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

Here's a site that has a chart of everything you need to know about round pen dimensions. It's based on using panels, but just take the panel length and multiply it by the number of panels needed, and you'll have your number for once around the pen. So, if you're using a four board enclosure, you'll need four times the number.

http://www.afence.com/FarmandRanchCAT/PanelCalculation.htm

Happy calculating!

Pam :cool:

10. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Your best bet is to get the little neighbor kid down there to help you with the figgers. If the kid is over 8 or 9 he'll know his gazintas.

11. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................noah , Instead of trying to build a "circle" for a round pen , MOst folks will build a......6.....sided "round" pen . Sind a circle has 360 degrees ...each interior angle will be ...60...degrees . 360 divided by 6 equal angles is 60 degrees . Now , drive a stake in the ground and cut a piece of strong string...40 feet long , and leave enough to tie your knot with . Simply take a stick and scribe a mark in the dirt as you walk around the stake and string in your hand . You will end up with almost a perfect circle . Next , find one of those little wheel measurment counters and use the wheel to follow the mark you have made in the Dirt and go all the way around your circle you marked in the dirt . Now , take the total distance(from the counter on the wheel) and divide by ...6.... these points will be each post in the six sided round pen . You can check the straight line distances to equalize your 6 sides so as to make them as equivalent as possible , fordy... :)

12. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Well, if there was a survey done of your property, you should be able to get your perimeter measurements (point to point) from that.

Mike

13. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    As a suggestion, the interior material of your round pen can be an old fire hose or similiar material, soft, non damageing, flexable, cheap at county auctions, easy to install, lasts for many years, ect, if such is available to you. All you need is the posts, the hose, and a handfull of roofing nails.

14. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

Thanks for the suggestion, but this is a pen for a BLM horse so it's gotta be wood. But I will remember that for future plans!

15. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Build the Skeletal framework out of Pipe or steel , then screw 2x's to the inside and it's done . Why would they require you to build the Whole thing out of Wood when steel is far superior in longivity and strength ? fordy.. :)

16. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

They don't REQUIRE you to build the whole thing out of wood, I just have to go with what I have access to and what I am able to work with by myself.

17. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I read Cabin Fevers math on my first cup of coffee and knew it wasn't right but wasn't ready to jump in with an answer. Second cup now much better. If I don't work with that stuff only a couple of times a year it takes a while.

miikell

mikell