Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my feed cart.

See this section between the handles:

I want to attach some sort of basket or something there to hold eggs, pencils and whatever else small items.

I'm not sure what to attach there, or how I will attach it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Put a piece of 1"*2" wood under the lip of cart. Attach a plastic fishing tackle box using either bolts and nuts with washers or screws with screw washers. Tackle boxes have lids, flip up trays for pencils etc. And can store maybe a dozen eggs under the trays. Just an idea.

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,849 Posts
Go to walmart and find a little plastic basket you like, then use 2 zip ties (also known as wire ties) to connect it to the metal handles on each side.
Best idea....almost any basket would work and no cuts/holes to cart!!

Whatever you use, might want to line it with something cushiony ...or get a basket big enough to hold an egg carton.

·
Saltine American
6,588 Posts
Yes, look at plastic tackle, tool or ammo boxes. I would attach it using zip ties through the existing holes in the handle fram.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Here is my feed cart.

See this section between the handles:

I want to attach some sort of basket or something there to hold eggs, pencils and whatever else small items.

I'm not sure what to attach there, or how I will attach it. Any ideas?
Get your measurements and go to Tractor Supply or other feed source and get one of these http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...bber-feeder-18-qt-capacity-black?cm_vc=-10005 or http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/double-tuftrade;-hookn-feed-bucket-14-qt-blue?cm_vc=-10005 or similiar hanging feeder troughs that will fit in your space or one that can be modified to fit with a hacksaw etc. A couple screws to hold it in place, maybe even add a spacer behind it at the bottom to get the angle you want. Simple.

OR a plain dish pan screwed at the top with a spacer on the back side/bottom to adjust the angle OR a rectangle window planter box attached the same way OR??

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
I'd use the bolts on the handle to attach what ever.

Use longer if necessary.

I like the tackle box Idea, I just see problems opening the lid though.

If what ever is plastic I would also us something where it attaches to strengthen it, Like maybe a flat metal bar or piece of sheet metal.

As I write this though I had the Idea of something like those bucket organizers... You could sew one up easy.

And as for the basket a metal one and big enough you can slip the handle through the rim and mesh to hold it.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Get your measurements and go to Tractor Supply or other feed source and get one of these http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...bber-feeder-18-qt-capacity-black?cm_vc=-10005 or http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/double-tuftrade;-hookn-feed-bucket-14-qt-blue?cm_vc=-10005 or similiar hanging feeder troughs that will fit in your space or one that can be modified to fit with a hacksaw etc. A couple screws to hold it in place, maybe even add a spacer behind it at the bottom to get the angle you want. Simple.
That might work!!

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
One of the green plastic hanging goat feeders might work. Also, there are some things made for cars, that hang on the back of a seat, to give a drink holder and storage area to folks in the backseat. That might work. That would give you a drink holder, too. Be careful what you put in your drink holder while handling eggs, they don't take kindly to a lot of stumbling around!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I go on the cheap whenever , I have some old buckets with handles, loosen handle on one side wrap around post and reattach. Or use plastic bucket or box or pitcher and cut two slits towards top and secure with plastic ties. You can even make a thingy like that is used on back of wheelchair or on a walker which you can make removable so you take you eggs straight in the house. You might be able to modify an old tote bag.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
before you buy anything to fit there, tilt the cart in the fashion you would pulling it thru the yard. Now measure how much ground clearance you have, it will not be much. Some of the basket type ideas listed so far look to me like they would stop you from pulling the cart at its normal pulling angle.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Something to keep in mind. When your cart is sitting it is at 90 degrees, when you are pulling it, it is tilted. If you mount a basket solid, with screws and such, the basket will do the same thing and your eggs will want to roll to one side. If you get a little plastic basket and only zip tie it, at the top, to the metal handle, then when you tilt the cart to move it, the bottom of the basket will swing out and still remain upright, therefore not dumping out the eggs or whatever small items you decide to put in it.?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts