I Need New Boots

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ebook, Sep 27, 2006.

1. ebook

ebook Crooked Gap Farm

Well, my pair of hiking boots that I've been using for work boots finally gave out on me this past Monday. That means that I'm in the market for some new work boots to do farm work with. I'm looking for some 6" or 7" boots, water proof, and comfortable. Steel toe isn't really needed, but it won't stop me from buying a certain pair. My question is if any of you have some advice on good brands or specific boots to look for. I know some of my family members use Georgia boots, but I'm just looking for suggestions. Thanks a lot for any help you can give!

2. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Irish Setter made by the Redwing Boot Company are the most comfortable boots in the world.

4. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

I like Redwings.They last forever and are pretty darned comfortable.

5. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

BAMason has great longlasting workboots. You can search on line. DH and son love them as they come in narrow B widths for men,too. Their all-American boot with the guaranteed no to wear out sole is a winner and even my hubby takes years to wear out a pr. Also have pull-on work boots. Good company. DEE

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Definitely old black leather army combat boots they last forever

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

8. diamondtim

diamondtim Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Cabin Fever on Red Wings. I love mine! :dance: Now i need to get them resoled (uppers are still good).

9. ebook

ebook Crooked Gap Farm

Thanks for the responses! Keep them coming if you got them.

I will check into the Red Wings next time I head over to the city (I think they have a store). And some of the other brands.

10. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

:dance: I would say go here I have been buying here for years, all namebrand, be sure to check out all spceals includeing lucnh hour,email,midnightowl.
    have fun with the normal delivery I live down in Mo. only 3-4 days to get here, paula

11. paulaswolfpack

:dance: I would say go here I have been buying here for years, all namebrand, be sure to check out all spceals includeing lucnh hour,email,midnightowl.
    have fun with the normal delivery I live down in Mo. only 3-4 days to get here, paulahttp://www.bargainoutfitters.com/.

12. paulaswolfpack

13. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

I just packed my 20-year-old pair to wear on my upcoming expedition. Make sure you get actual Army-issue boots. One thing the Army doesn't skimp on is footwear. My 1984-issue dress shoes are still going strong.

And how much fun is it to be able to truthfully tell that punk "I got SHOES older than you!"

14. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

And where would one find them short of enlisting?

15. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

sportsmans guide has military surplus....new and used...Bates boots etc

16. Southernman

Southernman Well-Known Member

Army surplus type stores close to bases. When alot of troops get out they sell them for a little bit of nothing. Most of them are still very wearable.

17. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

If you have the money...

I prefer to cry just once. I belly up for high quality boots and they are worth every penny. They mold to your feet, they are made of the highest quality materials, and they last for a real long time. One can wear out may pairs of cheapies before the good boots are gone.
    I like Wesco
    http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/product_listing.asp

White are also the finest quality.

18. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

19. catahoula

catahoula Well-Known Member

Whites the all leather legend, I've worked all kinds of foot wear into the dirt. The last really good pair of boots I had were Nicks, they held their own pretty good, but if you can afford them Whites are the way to go.

20. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I will agree with folks recommending Red Wing boots. I have a pair that were my dad's, he wore them for decades, and I've had them for over 10 years. Don't wear them real often, but I used to wear them a lot, and they should last for many more years. One of my sons needed new work boots, as he wears shoes/boots out in just weeks sometimes, and he got a pair of Red Wings at a local store that still measures your feet, etc., and has a sales crew that know what they are doing. We discovered that they recommended different shoe styles depending on the proportions of your feet--the saleslady really knew her shoes and the variations possible in feet. Anyway, it looks like Red Wing quality is still good. I also have a pair of Chippewa linemen's boots that I used to use when riding motorcycles, and they have been resoled and reheeled numerous times, but are still in good shape--I just don't ride as hard as I used to when they were new, back in the 1970s.

Get a good quality shoe, and make sure it FITS!