Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had friendly chickens before. I have no idea why these ones are friendly, I still treat them all the same. They are TOO friendly though, I don't like it. I want my birds to treat me indifferently. These ones rush up to the house morning, noon and night. We can't get out of the garage without going 1m.p.h. to avoid running them over. They follow me when I'm wandering the property and they've stolen food out of my kids hands. So, how can I nicely make them less friendly?

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
You have to start shooing them away.
And even that may not work.
I am not talking that gentle shooing, I mean skirt flapping, terrifying monster shooing away.
And a hose works well too...

but even then, the draw for food and treats might still be too strong.
As I mentioned in another thread, we had to get rid of an entire breeding flock because they were too friendly.
Darn things were a health and safety hazard.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to start shooing them away.
And even that may not work.
I am not talking that gentle shooing, I mean skirt flapping, terrifying monster shooing away.
And a hose works well too...

but even then, the draw for food and treats might still be too strong.
As I mentioned in another thread, we had to get rid of an entire breeding flock because they were too friendly.
Darn things were a health and safety hazard.
Bugger. I figured a few kicks might have to be delivered but I was really hoping I could cure them. DH is getting a bit pissy about them and DS is scared. They aren't mean, just in our faces.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
You might still be able to cure them.

No more treats out the back door or off the back porch.
Our birds only get treats up by the barn.
Which is a bummer. It is so much easier to throw open the back door and just toss stuff out.

Some quality time spent shooing them violently from the area.
Or fencing them away from the area.

They need to consider your part of the yard as a bad, bad place where nothing good ever happens.

You really can't let the livestock rule the roost, so to speak. :)
And one good trip and fall over a stupid chicken and your DH will have had all he can take.
And you can't have the kid being terrorized either.

Been there and done that... thus the rule about no treats out the back door.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
If possible I like the idea of fencing them out - it keeps all the livestock out of your way and the problem is done.

Otherwise, I'm not a chicken person, so can't help you.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Lock chickens in henhouse at night. Place the amount of feed that they will clean up in a day near the chicken house before turning them out in the morning. Never give treats or let them see people giving them food. This will take a while, and their may be a few that never give up. There is a difference between chickens that like your company, and chickens that are mobbing you for food. The ones that just like your company are usually not as annoying as the ones that are mobbing you for food.

·
Super Moderator
16,678 Posts
They may think you guys are chickens.

I am serious.

My son had a chick that imprinted on him, and the chic thought the kid was his mother. I swear, DS would sit in the house with the chicken on his lap and watch cartoons while the chick watched him with adoration! Even after she moved permanently outside she would walk up to people!

It took a couple of years for the chicken to get more stand off-ish.

That hen lived to be 8 as by then she was DS's pet! This was not a bad thing, as she layed until the last year of her life.

L

·
0 Posts
I swear, DS would sit in the house with the chicken on his lap and watch cartoons while the chick watched him with adoration!
I've had pet chickens gaze at me adoringly. Some of my Seramas do now.

One of those things that's hard to believe until you see it.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
I hatch n raise lots of chicks they see me as the feeder and the battle to keep em out from under foot and off the front porch is ever on going my hen house is 55 feet from my house . but if you don't hand feed them and don't feed them in your yard it will get better some breeds are more active than others also you may have to watch out for new hampshires or buffs while driving but I doupght you being able to hit a leghorn

Attachments

·
Just living Life
8,280 Posts
Mine sleep in their hen house at night.... I do feed them scraps at times.

When it rains they want to sit on the porches,,, I say off... point and they leave.
To get to that ...ah... point... ;) I said OFF... and shooed them off with the broom.
Same with the turkeys.. all I had to say is OFF... and they get off the porch.

I rather have mine a bit friendly. If I need to get them into the hen house yard.. rather have them follow me in with some feed. Some times I need to have the gate open around the house.
And don't want to loose them to skunks, foxes and so on.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I should admit we were feeding them. In an effort to get them away from the cars so we could leave we'd throw some bread or such off to the side. So looks like we trained them. lol Also, the friendly ones are the first chicks I've ever incubator hatched so I guess that might have something to do with it.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Well I should admit we were feeding them. In an effort to get them away from the cars so we could leave we'd throw some bread or such off to the side. So looks like we trained them. lol Also, the friendly ones are the first chicks I've ever incubator hatched so I guess that might have something to do with it.
They must think that you're their mamma!

Reactions: Terri

·
Registered
841 Posts
ooh ya the birds have u trained, no more food at the car from now on use a broom to chase them away from the car not a treat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts