I need help

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Dorothea, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Dorothea

Dorothea Well-Known Member

i have 2 cockteils,,,i thought both were males since that's what i was told found an egg not sure what the heck i should do for charlie (thought was my boy but now is a girl)..so please help me and no i don't want to fry it...LOL..
    how can i move her egg with out being bite to piece's,??,,and keep the egg warm and how many eggs do they have?? and can i keep the male with her or should i move him into another cage?? please help me...
    thanks Doro

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

3. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

She'll lay more eggs. If you want babies then attach a nest box to the cage so that she has somewhere to keep her eggs and hatch them out.

4. Dorothea

thanks you both for helping for some reason she left her egg..not sure why ,,just waiting to see if she'll have more,, what a Christmas shock this was...

5. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, at least Charlie is a nice name for a girl, too, lol! She probably left the egg because she did not have a nest to lay it in, and because she won't set until she has laid a clutch. Have you tried putting your hand in the cage? Is she acting any differently than normal?

6. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has 2 cockatiels - one male, one female. They are kept separate, but close for company (they don't want to breed them). One year, the female laid 27 eggs over a period of a couple of weeks! Poor thing was about knackered at the end of that time, but she survived!

7. Dorothea

we don't think the egg is fertile,,,she lost all interest in her egg and it's now cold...I was told to leave it there for at least 32 hours..she is only about 10 months old,,Pete is about 2 years old,,well see if she leaves any more eggs..and she is back to her self not the demand she was before

8. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Doro, My daughter in law has cockatiels, and she leaves the male and female in the same cage, and attaches the nest box when the female starts to lay. You can PROBABLY get one at a pet store if you aren't handy with a hammer and nails. You just hang it on the side of the cage so they can both enter it when they want to. A little straw in there wouldn't hurt to cushion the eggs. Good luck. Who knows, you may have some babies! I THINK she increases the feed during laying time, too. Let us know what happens. Jan in Co